1753725 Members
5005 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Console serial port

Tom Smit
Occasional Contributor

Console serial port

I've just inheirited a bunch of 9000 class machines, both A180s and 500s. I've had no problem connecting the 500s via serial port to a laptop with a DB9->DB25 cable (24542G from HP). What kind of cable do i need to connect to the A180s? Just a regular RS232? Whats the HP serial number for the cable?

Sorry if this is a "newbie" question, but i'm pulling what little hair i have out trying to figure this out.

Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Console serial port

Hi:

I have a couple of A180C's that I use for DNS/DHCP servers. The console cable is a 24542G.

Here are the pinouts:
DB25M DB9F
1 GND ------------------- Shell GND
2 ------------------- 2
3 ------------------- 3
4 ------------------- 1
5,6 ------------------- 4
7 ------------------- 5
8 ------------------- 7
20 ------------------- 8,6

If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Tom Smit
Occasional Contributor

The problem here is i'm going from DB9 to DB9, not DB25. I tried the regular DB9->DB25 with a 25->9 adapter and the console is still not responding.

A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood. I do use a 25542G to connect from a terminal to the console port of an A180C. I suppose that you need a DB9 to DB9 cable?
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

The 'G' cables from HP are defined as null-modem or crossover cables. A DB9-DB9 (probably from A-class to PC) must be a printer or null-modem or crossover cable. To avoid the delays in getting these connections working, I always carry a DB9-DB9 null-modem adapter and insert the adapter when nothing shows up. There's only 2 ways to connect a terminal to the computer, straighjt thru or crossover.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin