HPE 9000 and HPE e3000 Servers
1752800 Members
5770 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DDS-3 DAT Tape reading error from L1000 - HP-9000

machaya chivaviro

DDS-3 DAT Tape reading error from L1000 - HP-9000

We have just bought a brand new hp-9000 L1000 class with HP-UX 11.0. Currently we have K260 class running HP-UX 10.2. My main problem has arisen where I can not restore a backup from HP-9000 K260 with a 12GIG DDS-3 DAT DRIVE drive. But If a do a backup from the L1000 machine on a DDS-3 tape I am able to restore the same data on the K-260 machine. Also I can not restore the same backup on the L1000 machine that I would have done. This machine Is just being configered so that I can transfer my files from the K-class machine. Someone told me that the tape drive is for DLT. This does not make sense to me because when scan the drives they are named as DDS-3 drives and Even to support this the documentation says so. What is the problem here. Please help I have only 3 days left before the machine starts working.
3 REPLIES 3
Patrick Wessel
Honored Contributor

Re: DDS-3 DAT Tape reading error from L1000 - HP-9000

Did I get you right: you are not able to read a tape on the L1000, which has been written on the same drive (a C1537A)?
I would try to clean it (use the cleaning tape more than once) and try to backup-and-restore once again. If this doesn't help, get in touch with your local HP Support.
There is no good troubleshooting with bad data
David DeMartini
Advisor

You may have a drive that is out of spec (most likey the older of the two drives). Also, a DLT tape will not fix in a DDS drive opening, physical dimentions are vastly different. I imagine that you could stuff a DDS into a DLT drive but who know what sort of physical damage the tape and/or dive will suffer.

You might want to look at the blocking factors of the tapes in question. Upon occasion the processes that created the tapes might be configured differently on the two machines. Since I don't know what sort of backup process you are using (tar, cpio, Legato Networker, etc. etc.) I can't make a more specific suggestion. The data on the types might even be byte-swapped.

What tools/utilities are you using and what are the specific errors being reported when the tapes are being read/restored from?
Actions speak louder than spreadsheets.
Shyam Kishore
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

You have not specified the capacity of your New DDS-3 drive. If is less than the capacity of your drive in K260, probably it may not read the tapes properly. You may try with LESS capacity tapes (equal to your New Drive capacity) for copying from old systems to new drive. This may work fine.

All the best

-Shyam
Kids learn from masters, masters from mistakes.