1753506 Members
5183 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP9000/D270 Console problem

Scott D. Allen
Regular Advisor

HP9000/D270 Console problem

I have a D270 server that I need to connect a console to. I don't have any terminals, so I'm using a PC with terminal emulation (Hyperterm). When I power on the server I see the POST messages on the server LCD and then it comes up with messages on the Hyperterm window on PRI BOOT, but I cannot type anything in. It does not see any keyboard input. I tried even plugging in my keyboard directly into the server and it still doesn't work. Anyone have any ideas on what I need to do? Thanks.

--Scott
"Sometimes the devil you know is better than the devil you don't know."
4 REPLIES 4
Todd Stein
Occasional Advisor

Re: HP9000/D270 Console problem

You probably don't have a proper console cable. I can't remember where I found the pinout's for that cable, but it is available on the ITRC. You will probably want a proper console anyway, either a real HP terminal or one of the new secure web console's. The Secure web console allows you to view the console via an http interface.
Patrick Wessel
Honored Contributor

Scott,

If you established a serial connection between the server and your PC it makes no sense to connect your keyboard to the D-Server. The system is able to use the RS232 console or a graphic console (needs an additional graphic card).
Maybe your console path is setup wrong. Do you have an Remote Management Card (internal modem) installed in your box? If yes, set the switch on this card to service. This will over write the stable storage settings and sets the console path to the right hardware address
There is no good troubleshooting with bad data
Scott D. Allen
Regular Advisor

I don't believe it's the cable, because during bootup I see the boot messages etc. on the hyperterminal screen and it comes up to the installation screen, but it won't accept keyboard input. Maybe it is the cable, I'll try another one.

I also tried setting the remote management card switch to service, still no joy.

We're getting an HP terminal today. I'll try that and see.

--Scott
Scott D. Allen
Regular Advisor

I got a new HP 700/92 terminal and it works great. Weird that it didn't work with my PC/hyperterminal.

Thanks for the help guys!

--Scott