2601 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How do I reset Management Port (mp) to default values on RP4410 Server

gunners
Frequent Advisor

How do I reset Management Port (mp) to default values on RP4410 Server

Hi All,

Looking for some help on this one. We have forgotten passwords for Admin and Oper a/cs on one of our servers MP ports

How do I reset ? I know you have to plug in a screen into the back of server etc - does anyone know the steps and will it mean downtime ?

Thanks a mill

2 REPLIES 2
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: How do I reset Management Port (mp) to default values on RP4410 Server

No OS downtime required.

Connect a terminal (or a laptop with a terminal emulator) to the serial port marked "LOCAL" , near the bottom left corner on the rear of the server. A VGA display screen cannot be used here. Press Enter once or twice to wake up the port, and make sure you can see the MP login prompt on the terminal.

Then look at the air holes to the left of the serial port connectors. You should see a LED just inside one of the holes. That is the MP self-test LED. To the left of the LED is a small button that can be used to reset the MP (only the MP, not the server itself). Most likely you will need a pen, a small screwdriver or a similar tool to push the button.

Press and hold the MP reset button for >4 seconds, then release it and watch the terminal display. As the MP resets itself, it will output a copyright/firmware version message, then a prompt to press a particular key on the terminal to reset the MP passwords. The prompt will be visible for a few seconds only: if you miss it, you'll wait for the MP login prompt and then reset it again. Press the key indicated in the prompt. If I recall correctly, it will ask for a confirmation: if you answer "yes", the MP usernames and passwords will be reset to factory defaults - i.e. Admin/Admin and Oper/Oper.

MK
gunners
Frequent Advisor

Re: How do I reset Management Port (mp) to default values on RP4410 Server

Matti , thats brilliantly comprehensive thanks indeed , will try that out when I get to our other site next week