1753828 Members
8555 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to activate N4000 serial port?

Steve Huizenga
Frequent Advisor

How to activate N4000 serial port?

I would like to attach a dialout modem to the General Purpose Serial port at 0/0/5/0 of an N4000. The port doesn't seem to be active. The CA command in the GSP only allows configuration of the Local & Remote Console Serial Ports. I've added the modem in SAM and the special files were created but still no lights on a modem that works fine on a D370. Any ideas? Steve.
3 REPLIES 3
Brian M Rawlings
Honored Contributor

Hi, it looks like others have gone before us. Take a look at:

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0x0a6e87dc4d7dd5118ff00090279cd0f9,00.html

Shahul provided a decent "modem attach cookbook" on that thread that should help you -- it looks pretty thorough.

Regards, --bmr
We must indeed all hang together, or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately. (Benjamin Franklin)
Harish kumar Sudhamalal_1
Occasional Advisor

Hi Steve,

I would suggest that you check the cable and the modem.

If everything is OK, You should normally get the DTR or TR (Terminal Ready) light once you connect the modem to the serial port of the N4000.

Also check if the phone line is active. You can check this by connecting a normal analog telephone instrument and listen for the dial tone.

Cheers

Harish Kumar S

Patrick Wessel
Honored Contributor

Steve,
The connections on 0/0/5/0 are used for the 'internal Console port' and the 'local session port'. There is no physical connection of this ports to the outside world. You can use 0/0/4/0 port two for the modem
There is no good troubleshooting with bad data