108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: L2000 Hot Swap Drive?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dusty Mjoen
Advisor

L2000 Hot Swap Drive?

I have a failed hard drive in vg00.  Thankfully it is mirrored.  I have the ability to perform LVM OLR, but I cannot locate a service manual to determine if I can hot swap the drive.  Does anyone know if this is permissible with an L2000?  If so, can you pint me to the manual or kindly explain the steps?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

On a L2000, the OS version must be 11.23 or earlier. Yes, hot-swapping the disks is permissible on a L2000 (also known as rp5450 in the newer model number scheme).

Here's the best document on disk replacement procedures, "When Good Disks Go Bad". Too bad it's the 11.31 version of the document:

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01911837/c01911837.pdf

Basically, first use "pvchange -a N /dev/dsk/cXtYdZ" to completely disable LVM access to the failed disk if possible in your OS version. (If you don't have it, but the failed disk is indicated as NO_HW in "ioscan -fnCdisk" listing, you can skip this step.)

Then swap the physical disk.

Use "vgcfgrestore -n /dev/vg00 /dev/rdsk/cXtYdZ" to restore the LVM configuration to the replaced disk. Confirm that the disk is now CLAIMED in "ioscan -fnCdisk".

Then allow LVM to access the replaced disk: "pvchange -a y /dev/dsk/cXtYdZ". LVM should automatically start syncing the mirrors. If that does not happen, you can use "vgsync vg00" to start the synchronization manually.

Don't forget to recreate the boot LIF, as it is outside the LVM-managed disk area and won't be duplicated automatically.

The commands you'll need are "mkboot -l /dev/rdsk/cXtYdZ", and "mkboot -a 'hpux -lq' /dev/rdsk/cXtYdZ". Use "lvlnboot -v" to confirm that the both mirror halves are identified as bootable disks and the boot/root/swap LVs are recognized on both disks. If necessary, use "lvlnboot -R" to update the root VG information.

You should also verify that both halves of the mirror are listed in /stand/bootconf. (In my experience, this step is often missed when mirroring vg00.)

MK
Dusty Mjoen
Advisor

Thanks, I appreciate the reply.  I believe I have the LVM portion of the replace pretty well ironed out.  Is there any procedures to run against the hardware to prepare for the replacement?  Or, do you just pull the drive?

Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor
Solution

Aside from the pvchange command already mentioned, you do not have to perform anything further thanks to the OLR feature of LVM.  You can then just pull the disk.

-Bob

----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!
Holger G
HPE Pro

On page 31 in the "Installation Guide rp5400 Family of Servers" it is shown how to access the disks in the HP9000 L-Class Servers.
http://h20628.www2.hp.com/km-ext/kmcsdirect/emr_na-c01868384-1.pdf

Kind Regards

Holger

Was this post useful? - You may click the KUDOS! Star.

- I work for Hewlett Packard Enterprise -
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

>> Basically, first use "pvchange -a N /dev/dsk/cXtYdZ" to completely disable LVM access to the failed disk if possible in your OS version. (If you don't have it, but the failed disk is indicated as NO_HW in "ioscan -fnCdisk" listing, you can skip this step.)

Don't skip this step, otherwise vgcfgrestore will fail.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Dusty Mjoen
Advisor

Thanks everyone, you have been very helpful!