1753856 Members
6942 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Webconsole user accounts

keith runnels_1
Occasional Advisor

Webconsole user accounts

I've installed prior Secure WebConsoles on A-180s, for example. Once configured, going to the SWC website displays an SWC menu that allows creating SWC users or logging into SWC and allowing connection to the console.

I've just installed an rp2470 which has the SWC integrated into the LAN console port. I enabled the web access through GSP, and sure enough I can use a web browser and see the console. The problem is that there is no security! When I go to the SWC website, I'm presented with the console screen and a "Zoom In/Out" button, and that's all! I want to create SWC logins and force SWC to authenticate users. I don't want to put in GSP logins because that would mean anyone actually at the console would have to be given a login/password. If they're at the console, then they've gone through physical security measures and are okay to be there. I want to make sure that SWC connections require a login before granting access, and I don't see how to do that.

What am I missing? I'm not sure of the version of the SWC software/firmware, so if that's important, please tell me how to get it.
4 REPLIES 4
Domenico_5
Respected Contributor

Re: Webconsole user accounts

hi

it's possible, you can create user and pwd for web and after you talk to your ws or server via secure shell.

go to docs.hp.com for the web console manual

regards
Ted Ellis_2
Honored Contributor

to configure integrated web console accounts for security, you will have to use the GSP. Once in GSP, "so" will open the security options sub-menu. Skip the first set and then configure the users you want. I honestly do not know off hand if the local console will work around this. Most certainly any user, local or not, who wants to get into the GSP will need that password. THe Web Console is integrated with the GSP and I don't think you can really get around that.

Ted
Domenico_5
Respected Contributor

hi

download this document from hp site so you can configure webconsole http://docs.hp.com/hpux/onlinedocs/hplex/cwc2training.pdf
keith runnels_1
Occasional Advisor

Domenico, the only documentation I find under docs.hp.com refers to the old-style SWC consoles. These are the small boxes installed externally to the server, and these function the same as the SWC embedded in the old A-class servers. These old-style SWCs perform the way I want: whenever you access the SWC IP address, you must give an ID/password to get in and access the main console. Also, the CWC doc you sent is a different product. It states that if you use SWC to connect to CWC, you break the security.

Ted, from what you've said, it appears that SWC functionality has completely changed. The SWC behavior I'm experiencing is that once the integrated SWC/LAN Console port is enabled & configured for web access, then anyone with a browser can go to the SWC IP address and access the main console! No user id/password required! If I password-protect GSP, then going into GSP would require a password, true. However, that still leaves the general main console completely unsecured: anyone with a browser can watch what goes on at the main console or even jump in with keystrokes whenever they like. To me, that's a very, VERY bad thing. Does that sound like the way it should function now, or am I doing something wrong?