HPE 9000 and HPE e3000 Servers
1752564 Members
5013 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: rp7410 fan failure causing shutdown?

klb
Valued Contributor

I've attached file containing the sysrev output and the dump of the Errors in SL output.

I'm sure the firmware is out of date and the error log contains a full power off, power on, attempt to boot, and failure.  

Thanks 

-klb

Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

The firmware is OK.  While it is a couple of revs behind, the udpates were not critical.

The conditions are strange.  There are errors regarding the fan and that EXTERNAL_RD_ERROR (in which I am not sure what that means; though they are coming from the cell's PDH controller).  The one error that looks like it may be related to the problem is: HIOPB_POWER_FAULT.

Also, the 12V Fault messages from the PS output is not normal either, regardless if there is a cell installed in a slot or not.  You could move the cell from 1 to 0 and see how the PS command reacts, but I am not sure that would determine anything.

Given this, I would agree that the part to replace would be the PCI Chassis.  If that does not change anything, then the next likely component is the cell board (another expensive part).

HP does charge big $$ for these parts, old as they are.  I am not sure of your location, but perhaps you can shop around for 3rd party vendors?  Even HP authorized resellers will be cheaper.

Good luck!

-Bob

----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!
klb
Valued Contributor

After swapping the PCI Power Modules, no change to the original condition, but now both IO Chassis' are showing the 12V rail fault!

I'm about done here.  

Thanks for your help.  

-klb

klb
Valued Contributor

After pulling the power from the cabinet to go completely dark, and then plugging the power back in, we now show the FAULT on the other chassis!
So, chassis 0 is now showing all powered up and happy and chassis 1 is showing the same as 0 did prior to swapping around the VRMs and the PCI Bricks.

This indicates to me that either we have a bad VRM or a bad PCI power brick.

BTW, why would it take a hard power cycle to cause the "problem" to move with the swapped components?

Thanks,

-klb
Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

> BTW, why would it take a hard power cycle to cause the "problem" to move with the swapped components?

I would say one or both of the following potential reasons:

- Standby power is ever present in these systems when AC power is attached.  By resetting the AC, all circuits are reset, updating the actual status of components.

- You have faulty components and they are not behaving the way you might expect.

-Bob

----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!