HPE 9000 and HPE e3000 Servers
1748080 Members
5076 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP 3000 question... not sure if this is the right place.

Matt Johnston

HP 3000 question... not sure if this is the right place.

Ok, here's the deal.. I've got an HP 3000 (model 922LX) sitting here. It powers on, checks the (four) disks, and seems to be working. However, I cannot seem to get a login prompt on the local console port. I'm curious as to what serial settings I should be using, and whether I should be using a straight-through or null-model cable? (BTW, I'm using QCTerm on a windows 95 PC for terminal emulation). Also, I noticed that if the key on the front is in the 1 position, I get a lot of gibberish spewed out when I try to connect with a straight-through cable, but nothing when it's in the 2 position.

Anyway, any suggestions anyone can give me will be appreciated. I bought this thing for 10 bucks at an auction, so I really am no expert when it comes to these beasts, I just bought it to play with.
5 REPLIES 5
paul courry
Honored Contributor

Hmmmmmm

If the 922 has a display on the box and it reads C440 then you need to hit Ctrl B then type in CO and press return.

The default values for talking to the box are 9600, 8, none, 1.

QCTerm is not guaranteed to talk to serve as a console, only a dumb terminal is.

Cut and try. YMMV.
Kwan Fong, Emile
Honored Contributor

HP3000 Serie 922:

KeyPosition at 1: DC power ON, Control-B enabled, system status display enabled.

KeyPosition at 2: DC power ON, Control-B disabled.

Set the Key at position#1.

The console port is, like Paul stated, a DB25 female with serial default configuration (Xon/Xoff, 9600, 8, None, 1).

PC is not supported as the master console (it does not mean it won't work); HP recommends a dump terminal 2392A or 700/9x.

You can try with the PC; the cable pinout should be the following:

PC s922
Serial Console
Port Port
DB9 DB25
Female Male
-----------------
3----------->2 (TD) Transmit Data
2<-----------3 (RD) Receive Data
5------------7 (SGND) Signal Ground

King is the customer!
Kwan Fong, Emile
Honored Contributor

Sorry for the cable pinout formatting:

PC----------s922

3----------->2 (TD) Transmit Data
2<-----------3 (RD) Receive Data
5------------7 (SGND) Signal Ground

King is the customer!
Bart Guthrie

Matt, almost a year to the day you posted your message...I'm in the same boat as you are. Have you been able to make use of the 3000 922LX? I recently came upon a system with some hard drives, a monitor, keyboard and that's about it. I'm wondering if it's worth my while trying to understand the system and if it will be too challenging to find cables (I have no cables to connect the drives or monitor). Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Bart Guthrie
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

here's some documentation:

http://docs.hp.com/mpeix/onlinedocs/32650-90854/32650-90854_top.html

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die