BladeSystem - General
1752591 Members
2880 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Active/Standby Onboard Administrator (OA) on different subnets?

chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

Active/Standby Onboard Administrator (OA) on different subnets?

Gil had a customer question:

Hello, I’m working with a customer who is looking at various methods for setting up redundant OAs in a c7000 enclosure. They are proposing a scenario whereby the Active and Standby OAs are potentially in different subnets. Does anyone have experience trying this, is this even supported?

Input from Monty:

I would question how the customer plans to access the blades and interconnects with this enclosure.

Yes the OA modules could be configured on different subnets – but this is not supported if the enclosure has Virtual Connect as VCM requires that all the OA be on the same subnet.

Typically the server blade iLO should be on the same subnet as the OA modules – allowing clients with access to that subnet to be able to access any of the iLO or OA.

If the intent of using different subnets is network isolation of clients from different iLO – then I think the OA management VLAN feature will be useful – but the resulting OA VLAN configuration must have both OA modules in the same VLAN as Virtual Connect modules if VC is present in that enclosure.

Input by Dan:

Other than the comments/restrictions highlighted by Monty, there is support in the OA to request iLOs to renew their DHCP leases on OA failovers to support a network configuration where the redundant OA modules are on different subnets.

Any other comments?