BladeSystem - General
1748028 Members
5403 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HPSUM 5.0 is nowhere to be seen, even though the website mentions it...

gxtoast
Occasional Advisor

HPSUM 5.0 is nowhere to be seen, even though the website mentions it...

I downloaded the latest HP Service Pack (for Windows platforms) and expected to see HP SUM 5.0, because this is what is talked up on the site:

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/spp/hpsum/index.html

Unfortunately, not. HP SUM version 4.21 is the one included in the SP:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib2/software1/cd-generic/p17859364/v70946/SPPBLWIN-2011.09.0-0.zip

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/service_packs/en/index.html

As usual, no comprehensive documentation to speak of about HP SUM 5.0. Poor documentation is a theme that has been running for a few years now and I would have thought by now that HP would have learned that it is particularly important in this new cloud oriented industry.

Wish HP would get their proverbial sh1t together and start producing much better documentation. Well categorised and easy to find/search for. Currently it is not.

9 REPLIES 9
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

I found on hp.com it is announced for "coming soon" in december.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

HP SUM 5.0 will be released together with the new version of the SPP Service Pack for Proliant. First version was 2011.09, next release will be 2011.12 somewhere this month... I assume it will be the second part of this month however...

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/spp/index.html

If you follow the past of HP of where HP SUM is coming from (initial deployment tool of PSP Proliant Support Pack) there is quite some info. I teach these kind of Proliant and SIM training and there definitely there is a lot of time spend on this...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

As said:

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/spp/index.html

"SPP version 2011.12.0 with HP SUM 5.0.0 coming soon"

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
gxtoast
Occasional Advisor

Thanks, guys.

However, my sentiment about HP's systemic lack of a quality documentation in their support culture still stands.

Why wasn't this information about when it was coming and how it related to a new 2nd release of the HP Service Pack concept posted on all pages that mentioned HP SUM 5.0 (and, posted in clear and easily noticable type)? Why did I have to post on a freakin forum to find an answer?

The whole point is that the updating of firmware and software shouldn't need a course. All that is required is Nuts & Bolts (tm) documentation. We all know how difficult it is to find true nuts and bolts doco from HP.

It's very easy and plentiful to find material from Cisco. They specialize in Nuts & Bolts. HP needs to join them by raising their quality and effort.

The HP "ecosystem" doesn't get blogged about much and a lot of this comes back to their weak documentation. Documentation includes the way documents are categorized and how their relationships are defined and presented on websites. Most of the time HP sucks at this. Relationships are not defined or are obscure. There is no sense of continuity when navigating across related material.

And, Marketecture is EVERYWHERE, which is just frustrating and adds noise and makes hunting for material even more time consuming.

Even HP support staff suffer from HP's poor documentation. This can be seen when you get conflicting responses from various HP consultants around the world about how something works, or the best way to configure or implement something. It's not uncommon.

I've read many documents written by HP that just present information badly. You might read pages of the stuff and still not get a good idea of the Nuts & Bolts of how something works, or the fundamental premise on which a technology is based. Then you might happen to find one of the rare blogs that talks about your topic of interest and find they've managed to cover all the Nuts & Bolts in a few paragraphs.

Come on HP, you can do much better. If you don't want to do it for your customers, at least do it so you don't look bad against your competitors.

John.Horton
Frequent Visitor

I need to STRONGLY Agree here. I was just looking at the SPP site and saw the "Coming soon" notice right away BUT, continuing through the site it DOES certainly imply that there is information available for SUM 5.0 as well, it implies that 5.0 is bundled with the CURRENT SPP. Glad they finally got the Driver and Firmware guys working together, now if they can just get the Web Content staff informed we might have some form of coherence.
Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

The latest version of SPP today is 2011.09 and this version has still SUM 4.2.1 in it... Tested some minutes ago...

Can you tell me which version you have from SPP and where you downloaded it from?

From what I know (and always heard) is that SPP 2011.12 will be the first one that will have SUM 5.0...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
JHoover
Occasional Advisor

Now that it's the 4th of January, 2012, and the 2011.12 SPP is still not released, I wonder when we'll see it.

Silence is golden, duct tape is silver
James Kennedy_5
Regular Advisor

Server-Support
Super Advisor

Ok, so does this means that now HP SUM which can scans the Proliant servers firmware update needed is now renamed into HP Service Pack for ProLiant  ?

Best regards,