108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Onboard Administrator - Keep server powered off after power loss

chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

Onboard Administrator - Keep server powered off after power loss

Kai had an OA question:

Hello,

Is there any option to ensure that server will not power on after power is removed from the enclosure that can be configured in the OA? (OA version 3.71 Dec 07 2012). I have a lab setup and have been testing with multiple configurations (I.E. setting the nopoweron option for the power delay etc.) but the server always seem to power on after the enclosure comes up unless I modify the ILO settings as well. Let me know if there is something I am missing or if this is not something the OA can perform.

Thanks,

Input from Hoa:

SET SERVER POWERDELAY

• Command:

SET SERVER POWERDELAY {ALL | <bay number> [{ - | , } <bay number>]} {number

of seconds to delay power | NOPOWERON}

• Description:

Set the PowerDelay status for the specified server or range of servers. If the delay is zero, the delay has

no effect on the device. If the delay is NOPOWERON, the device cannot poweron until all devices have

completed their delays.

• Access level/Bay level:

Administrator

Bay specific

And from Dan:

From the OA:

hponcfg all  << end_marker

<RIBCL VERSION="2.0">

<LOGIN USER_LOGIN="Administrator" PASSWORD="password">

<SERVER_INFO MODE="write">

<SERVER_AUTO_PWR VALUE="Off"/>

</SERVER_INFO>

</LOGIN>

</RIBCL>

end_marker

Other comments?

1 REPLY 1
chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

Re: Onboard Administrator - Keep server powered off after power loss

Info from Dave and Dan on this subject.

Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe these settings(SET SERVER POWERDELAY)only work during an enclosure power up?

I just tried a blade with autopower set on and these setting set with the interconnect at 1 and the bay set at ‘No Power On’ and the blade powered on after I inserted it.

I believe the iLO AutoPowerOn set to No would be the only way to keep server from a power up.

I think you are right Dave, as I have always told customers that screen in the OA is for if the entire c7000 was to lose power for some reason and then come back online.  This way your AD Servers come up before your SQL Servers and before your App Servers and such.

It might have gotten buried in the overnight onslaught of emails, but I sent this out last night.

From the OA CLI:

hponcfg all << end_marker

<RIBCL VERSION="2.0">   <LOGIN USER_LOGIN="Administrator" PASSWORD="password">     <SERVER_INFO MODE="write">       <SERVER_AUTO_PWR VALUE="Off"/>     </SERVER_INFO>   </LOGIN> </RIBCL>

end_marker

That will flip the iLO Power On to No for every iLO in the chassis, assuming they are iLO 4s.