1748117 Members
3759 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Support Pack for Proliant Firmware Update over PXE

dcolpitts
Frequent Advisor

Re: Support Pack for Proliant Firmware Update over PXE

Not that I saw. The same workarounds and instructions for the last couple of SPP ISOs are still valid and required for 2012.08.0. Kinda disappointing as you would have expected someone at HP to have taken notice of this... I'm intending to bring it up at the ISS ExpertOne Tech Tour I'm doing in Houston in early November.

dcc
Gerardo_Arceri
Advisor

Could someone make SPP2012.08 work with the provided initrd ?

From looking at the console i see that the mount_url.sh script tries to mount the iso as if it was a directory

+ chmod a+x /sbin/mount_url.sh
+ mount_url.sh nfs://10.200.1.247:/osbuild/extra/install_packages/hp_firmware/SPP2012.08.iso
+ local_path=Error: unable to mount 'nfs://10.200.1.247:/osbuild/extra/install_packages/hp_firmware/SPP2012.08.iso'
+ [ -n Error: unable to mount 'nfs://10.200.1.247:/osbuild/extra/install_packages/hp_firmware/SPP2012.08.iso' ]
+ [ -n /mnt/bootdevice ]
+ [ -f Error: unable to mount 'nfs://10.200.1.247:/osbuild/extra/install_packages/hp_firmware/SPP2012.08.iso' ]
+ umount -d Error: unable to mount 'nfs://10.200.1.247:/osbuild/extra/install_packages/hp_firmware/SPP2012.08.iso'
+ mkdir -p /mnt/bootdevice
+ mount_url.sh --dir /mnt/bootdevice nfs://10.200.1.247:/osbuild/extra/install_packages/hp_firmware/SPP2012.08.iso

Furthermore when mounting an nfs url it tries to use the mountproto=tcp option THAT'S NOT VALID, the right syntax is proto=tcp

Does anyone ever perform QA on these releases ?

Gerardo_Arceri
Advisor

Finally i was able to make SPP 2012.08 work over PXE using the unmodified initrd provided in

http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/servers/service_packs/en/index.html

The trick was to specify the right NFS options on the kernel command line, that now looks like:

label sos1208
  MENU LABEL Automatic Firmware Update Version 2012.08
    kernel vmlinuz.FW2012.08
    append initrd=initrd.img.FW2012.08 media=net rw root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk_size=900000 init=/bin/init loglevel=3 ide=nodma ide=noraid nopat pnpbios=off vga=7
91 splash=silent hp_fibre showopts noexec32=off numa=off nox2apic TYPE=AUTOMATIC iso1=nfs://10.200.1.247/osbuild/extra/install_packages/hp_firmware/SPP2012.0
8.iso iso1mnt=/mnt/bootdevice iso1opts=nolock,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,timeo=600,hard,intr,proto=udp,vers=3,ro d3bug AUTOPOWEROFFONSUCCESS=no AUTOREBOOTONSUCC
ESS=yes console=ttyS0,115200
    ipappend 2

label vsos1208
  MENU LABEL Interactive Firmware Update Version 2012.08
    kernel vmlinuz.FW2012.08
    append initrd=initrd.img.FW2012.08 media=net rw root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk_size=900000 init=/bin/init loglevel=3 ide=nodma ide=noraid nopat pnpbios=off vga=7
91 splash=silent hp_fibre showopts noexec32=off numa=off nox2apic TYPE=MANUAL iso1=nfs://10.200.1.247/osbuild/extra/install_packages/hp_firmware/SPP2012.08.i
so iso1mnt=/mnt/bootdevice iso1opts=nolock,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,timeo=600,hard,intr,proto=udp,vers=3,ro d3bug console=ttyS0,115200
    ipappend 2

vuster
Occasional Visitor

Thanks bro. Been struggling with why this wouldn't work all morning. The NFS mounting options worked.

dennyaaa
Frequent Visitor

Hi all

I am struggeling with getting the latest SPP's working on our Windows based PXE enviroment, and even though I've followed the instructions in this thread (alot of neat tricks) I still have no luck getting the latest SPP working in our enviroment. It simply won't mount the filesystem.

I've tried almost every possible workaround (the ones I could figure out in a windoes based environment), but I am not sure if the latest SPP requires you to modify the initrd file like the last couple of releases?

The problem is that everytime I boot a machine, it makes it to the HP loading bar screen, and then dropping me to a shell stating "Good Luck". Kinda not what I have come to expect from HP

Our PXE entry-menu point looks like this:

label f9
menu label ^9) HP Firmware Update
kernel HPFWU201208/vmlinuz

append initrd=/HPFWU201208/initrd.img media=cdrom rw root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk_size=900000 init=/bin/init loglevel=3 ide=nodma ide=noraid nopat pnpbios=off vga=791 splash=silent hp_fibre showopts noexec32=off numa=off nox2apic TYPE=AUTOMATIC AUTOPOWEROFFONSUCCESS=no AUTOREBOOTONSUCCESS=yes iso1=smb://[Path to iso] iso1mnt=/mnt/bootdevice

as stated before, I've tried with some of the fixes listed here, but still no cigar regarding mounting the filesystem.

Updated: Trying to fix this problem, I've encountered a strange entry when it fails to mount the file system. It's like it is trying to mount the network path onto the network, and not the .iso file which path I have clearly specified. Anyone knows why this might occur? And why did they change so much from 2012.02, it just worked back then. 

lpaseen
Occasional Visitor

After reading the sourceode and testing a lot I found a way to get it to boot from something else then eth0 without manually fixing the ramdisk. Using initrd-SPP2012080.2012_0730.60.img from  ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib2/software1/pubsw-generic/p1178085713/v81187/ and on he append line, insert

append initrd=<the_one_downloaded> ...   netdev=${BOOTIF/01-/} netmac=${BOOTIF/01-/} ...
     ipappend 2

"netdev" could also be "eth4" or so but then you need to know that ahead of time. In this case it is = MAC because of a bug in the code
"netmac" should probably be the MAC address of the nic to use but in the code it's only a trigger to use the value of  "netdev" as MAC to search for.

Peter Capriccio
Frequent Advisor

dcc -- apologies for the very late reply -- I lost my bookmarked posts when they updated this Forum software (and I can't figure out how to add it back in), so I no longer receive email notifications when someone posts...

It looks like you already figured it out, but for the record, this is what I did:

- mounted the SPP ISO (to /mnt)

- unpacked the initrd:

zcat /mnt/system/initrd.img | cpio -i --make-directories

- edited the "init" file (made a copy first) to copy the updated langsel file after it calls the "mount_fs" function that mounts the squashfs:

cp -p init{,.original}

vi init

diff init{,.original}
42,48d41
< # "fix" xorg.conf (change "*Depth" from 24 back to 16 for older systems)
< sed -i '/Depth/s/24/16/g' "${CHROOT_DIR}"/etc/X11/xorg.default-us
<
< # "fix" references to "/mnt/cdrom" and remove EULA, etc, in the langsel.htm file in the squash
< # sed -i 's|/mnt/cdrom|/mnt/bootdevice|g' "${CHROOT_DIR}"/opt/hp/hp-phoenix/srv/www/langsel.htm
< cp /langsel.htm.wbu "${CHROOT_DIR}"/opt/hp/hp-phoenix/srv/www/langsel.htm
<

- NOTE above that the "sed" line is commented out -- that would have fixed the mount point reference, but while I was mucking around in there, I managed to somehow eliminate the Language Selection and EULA, so I ended up just replacing the whole file (I left the "sed" line in there just as a reference to why I was messing with that file to begin with). So, in your example in point 5, the only change would have been substituting "/mnt/bootdevice" for "/mnt/cdrom".

- copied the updated langsel.htm file to the unpacked initrd directory:

cp -p /root/langsel.htm.wbu .

- made edits to "sbin/netconfig.sh" and "etc/initrd.functions" as previously described

- repacked the initrd (saved a copy of the original first):

cp -p /tftpboot/SPP-2012.06.0B/initrd.img{,.original}

find . ! -name "*~" | cpio -H newc --create | gzip -9 > /tftpboot/SPP-2012.06.0B/updated-initrd.img

Now, as far as obtaining the "original" langsel.htm from the squashfs.img, well, I don't have squashfs capabilities installed on my server (running Debian Lenny), so I cheated and booted another system off of what I had so far for the SPP and made the edits there. Once I was satisfied, I copied the updated file to my server. Here are the changes:

diff langsel.htm.nocr langsel.htm.wbu
104,107c104
<     if (document.getElementById('lin').innerHTML == document.getElementById('LinuxJA').innerHTML)
<         HP_SystemCommand("bash", "-c 'export HDU_BOOTENV_SMPJTB=yes && export HDU_LANGUAGE=ja && cd /mnt/cdrom/hp/swpackages && ./hpsum'");
<     else
<         HP_SystemCommand("bash", "-c 'export HDU_BOOTENV_SMPJTB=yes && cd /mnt/cdrom/hp/swpackages && ./hpsum'");
---
>     HP_SystemCommand("bash", "-c 'export HDU_BOOTENV_SMPJTB=yes && cd /mnt/bootdevice/hp/swpackages && ./hpsum'");
112,115c109
<     if (document.getElementById('title2').innerHTML == document.getElementById('TitleLaunch2EN').innerHTML) //english
<         document.getElementById('title2').innerHTML = document.getElementById('RebootEN').innerHTML;
<     else
<         document.getElementById('title2').innerHTML = document.getElementById('RebootJA').innerHTML;
---
>     document.getElementById('title2').innerHTML = document.getElementById('RebootEN').innerHTML;
121c115
<     HP_EjectDefaultCDROM();
---
>     // HP_EjectDefaultCDROM();
206c200
< <span id="title2" class="pagelegend">Please select the appropriate language.</span>
---
> <span id="title2" class="pagelegend">Please select the appropriate option.</span>
212,213c206,207
<     <h2><A id="len" onclick="runeulaEN();" href="#">English</A></h2>
<     <h2><A id="lja" onclick="runeulaJA();" href="#">Japanese</A></h2>
---
>     <h2><A id="len" onclick="runLin();" href="#">Launch HP SUM</A></h2>
>     <h2><A id="len" onclick="restartpress();" href="#">Reboot</A></h2>
241c235
<         <h2 id="waittxt">text to wait</h2>
---
>         <h2 id="waittxt">please wait</h2>

Note that the original "langsel.htm" was in DOS format (CR/LF line terminators), but after editing or maybe copying, "langsel.htm.wbu" was not. It didn't seem to make a difference. The latter file is attached, but who knows how it might get mangled by the Forum software, so let me know if it doesn't come through okay.

Hope this helps and sorry again for the late reply,

Pete C.

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>I lost my bookmarked posts when they updated this Forum software, so I no longer receive email notifications when someone posts...

Here is the FAQ entry for Bookmarks and Subscriptions:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/help/faqpage/faq-category-id/advanced#advanced

At the top of each topic page is "Topic Options > Subscribe".

dennyaaa
Frequent Visitor

Hello again. I recently tried with the modified initrd.img file, but the damm thing still refuses to work. We are still deploying the latest updates with a USB-Stick, but it would be really nice if the PXE would start working again. I've tried almost everything from patching the files useing Linux to following the PDF from HP to the letter. Still unable to mount filesystem in our windows environment. 

dcolpitts
Frequent Advisor

Dennyaa - check your private messages.

dcc