BladeSystem - General
1751713 Members
5097 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: iLO Java Remote Console: Upcoming JRE 1.7u51

Liam_Gretton

iLO Java Remote Console: Upcoming JRE 1.7u51

There's a forthcoming JRE release 1.7u51 in Jan 2014 which will prevent the Java Remote Console from working.

Currently 1.7u45 reports the following but allows the application to work:

This application will be blocked in a future Java security update because the JAR file manifest does not contain the Permissions attribute.

Oracle has posted more information about this on their blog.

We're running a mixture of iLO versions, the most recent being iLO 4 1.22.

I've tried and failed to navigate HP's dreadful site to see if there's a newer version. Is anyone aware of a more recent version of iLO that will address this problem?

33 REPLIES 33
Oscar A. Perez
Honored Contributor

We're aware of the problem and we will be adding the "Permissions" and "Codebase" attributes to the JAR file manifest for iLO2, iLO3 and iLO4 Java Remote Console Apps.

However, after adding the required attributes, we are still seeing these same warnings. Clicking on the details, we see that Java now complains about iLO not being a trusted website.  To solve this issue, users will have to import into each iLO a trusted SSL certificate signed by their own Certification Authority and then begin logging into iLO using only iLO DNS name instead of the iLO IP address.

In addition, users might need to import into the Java Keystore on each client the certificate of the Certification Authority that issued those iLO SSL certiticates or Java will not trust the iLO's new imported certificates.

So How do we do this at scale? we have over 1200 blades across 41 chassis's.

We have our own CA and it's root cert is in all our browsers, java etc.

iLOdude
Occasional Advisor

Based on the testing I've done with Java 7u60 beta, the remote console will work if your iLOs don't have a signed SSL cert. Also, Java update 51 will provide an exception site list. See below

https://blogs.oracle.com/java-platform-group/entry/upcoming_exception_site_list_in
Oscar A. Perez
Honored Contributor

Java 7u51 was released today and I can say that even with the fix for the manifest file we did for iLO2 v2.23, iLO3 v1.65 and iLO4 v1.32 and adding a trusted SSL certificate to each iLO, users could still experience issues opening the remote console and the virtual media applets.

The best solution so far is adding all your iLOs to the Java exception site list.

Hi Everyone,

Just to let everyone know that updating iLO 2  to latest firmware 2.23 for BL460c G6 and BL465 G5 did not solve the problem for the Java 7u51.

Also adding the acception list to java's security does not work either for 7u51.

Tested on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 - IE 10, IE11, Firefox 26.

Any help is appreciated since iLO's java remote session will not work on any of the blades. 

Oscar A. Perez
Honored Contributor

Do you have the debug output from the java console?

Like mattlok-101, upgrading to version 2.23 on my DL 385 G5, didn't fix the issue. 

When I try to view the Remote Console with IE 11 on Windows 7,  I receive a message that says - Error: Click for details.   The information from the Java console is listed below.

Firefox 24.2.0 ESR gives me even less information.  I've cleared the cache, etc. from both browsers.  I alo tried adding the IP address of the iLO to the Java exception list, but it doesn't fix the issue either. 

Java Plug-in 1.7.0_51
Using JRE version 1.7.0_51-b13 Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM

load: class com.hp.ilo2.remcons.remcons.class not found.
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.hp.ilo2.remcons.remcons.class
	at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
	at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
	at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadCode(Unknown Source)
	at sun.applet.AppletPanel.createApplet(Unknown Source)
	at sun.plugin.AppletViewer.createApplet(Unknown Source)
	at sun.applet.AppletPanel.runLoader(Unknown Source)
	at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Oscar A. Perez
Honored Contributor

Have you tried deleting temporary files in the Java Control Panel?

Open Java Control Panel and under General Tab, click on Settings button. It will open the Temporary File Settings window. Click on Delete Files button and select Installed Applicatons and Applets. Click OK.

This should force Java to download the new remcons app from iLO next time you click on the Remote Console link.

If it still won't work after this, go to the Security tab and try lowering the Security level.  Also click on "Restore Security Prompts".

I had the "keep temporary files on my computer" unchecked.  I re-enbled it, opened and closed Java time or two and deleted the temporary files, as well as the Installed Applications and Applets.

Retried the Remote Console - still doesn't work.

Have you tried deleting temporary files in the Java Control Panel?

I re-enabled the Next Generation Java Plugin (had it disabled for another app), and lowered the security from High to Medium.  Also clicked on "Restore Security Prompts".

Retried the Remote Console - still doesn't work.

If it still won't work after this, go to the Security tab and try lowering the Security level.  Also click on "Restore Security Prompts".

I still receive a message that says "Error, Click for details". 

When I click on it, up pops up an  "Application Error" dialog box titled "RuntimeException" that lists  "java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException".    The dialog has a button "Details" but clicking this just opens the Java Console, in which there are no error messages.