4238 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP ProLiant BL460c Gen8 - Replication of bios settings

chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

HP ProLiant BL460c Gen8 - Replication of bios settings

Erik had a tool question from a customer:

I have a customer that wants to make sure that all the bios settings of their BL460cG8 and all their coming blades have completely consistent bios settings.

I remember that earlier we had the CONREP util in the SmartStart Scripting toolkit.  I have seen that it have changed name to “HP Scripting Toolkit for Windows” and that the tool is now renamed to HPRCU.

? Have anyone experience with this tool and G8 servers ?

? Can the tool create a “backup” of bios settings and also apply then to a new server or a server with new motherboard ?

Gallig has some info

We are using HPRCU (HP ROM Configuration Utility) for Gen8 bios configuration for a long time now (started with beta).

As you said, it is replacing CONREP and offers the same kind of features.

From the Scripting User Guide, on page 33, you will get all details on how to use HPRCU:

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02988680/c02988680.pdf

HPRCU command-line syntax

hprcu -s | -l [-f file.xml ] [ -h ]

HPRCU command line arguments

-s This argument saves the system configuration to a file.

-l This argument loads the system configuration from a file and writes it to the target server.

-f{file.xml} Name of the input or output file. If not specified, the XML configuration defaults to hprcu.xml.

-h This argument displays program usage.

Here is the link to the QuickSpecs as well: http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/14224_na/14224_na.html

3 REPLIES 3
SummerA
Occasional Visitor

Hi,

I have a bunch of Gen8 servers in place (DL560, DL380, BL460c and BL660c). On all of them is Win2k8 R2 with SP1 installed.

Whenever I try to create a backup of the BIOS settings the same error message comes up:

c:\tools>hprcu -s -f BIOS.xml
HPRCU Version 1.00 - HP ROM Configuration Utility
Copyright (c) 2011 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P.

---------- System Information ----------
Product Name=
Sytem ROM Family=
System ROM Date=
System Total Memory=0MB

WARNING: Couldn't find the System Default table. System defaults will not be saved in output file.

Saving the configuration to file: BIOS.xml

Please wait...

ERROR: Couldn't find the RBSU table.
ERROR: This server is not supported.

Return code: 1

The toolkit version is 9.40. A copy of  "hpsstkio.sys" is located in ..\system32\drivers.

I have no clue whats going wrong here.. The systems are supported by HPRCU no matter what the error message is trying to tell me! This happens on all 4 different Gen8 models.

Does anyone has the same error or knows how to fix this?

BR

Andreas

scorpio75013

Hi

I have the same problème, but , for  load configuration..

hprcu.exe -l -f mysetting.xml

Please wait....................

And NOTHING

I must reboot.

HP Proliant DL380e

This tool don't work !

SummerA
Occasional Visitor

Actually I was able to solve the problem on my own. It nowhere mentioned but absolutely necessary to use the correct version in conjunction to your OS architecure. If you have a 64bit OS you have to use the 64bit version of the tool, in case of a 32bit OS take the 32bit version of the tool.

Its worth to mention that the tool cannot replicate all BIOS settings. Enabling/disabling of PCI devices is not possible (amongst other settings), yet.

I decided to continue the use of conrep...

cheers

Andreas