4340 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Mixing BL460c G7 and BL860c i2

chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

Mixing BL460c G7 and BL860c i2

Samy asked:

Has anyone here deployed a mixed blade environment?

I am looking into configuring some BL860c i2 running HP-UX with some BL460c G7 blades running VMware with multiple Linux guest OS.

Any best practice around this?  Or better to stay away from mixed environment?

Eirik responded:

No problems, you can mix whatever you want in that blade enclosure, I’ve seen most of it.

The blades don’t really talk to eachother if you don’t tell them to do it intentionally anyway, and then it’s regular IP-based communication.

Making the enclosure run only one type of OS or one type of blades would be.. madness :-)

Are you running a mixed environment? Let us know how it works or little secrets that you experienced.

6 REPLIES 6
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Mixing BL460c G7 and BL860c i2

chuckk281, why you never resond to a question???

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
The Brit
Honored Contributor

There is no problem mixing Proliant and Itanium blades.    I have been running mixed archetectures in same enclosures for over 2 years.

My question is why cant these people post their own questions??    I am getting sick of seeing Chuck's name attached to these posts.

Note also, since the migration, no-one seems to offer any "kudo"s for any responses, and never acknowledge any fixes.    The blades forum was bad enough in the old format, seems worse now.

Dave

chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

To Torsten and others that have asked the question about Chuckk281 postings.

I have access to HP Internal Only questions from the HP field engineers as well as the responses to those questions. I review the correspondence for problems and solutions that can go to an external audience without the "Future" stuff, without internal comments, or customer specifics. I then share with this forum those filtered questions and responses to see if there are others that may have those same issues and can benefit from expert answers. I generally don't answer questions when i can get experts to work out those issues.

The engineering staff are hard pressed to re-post questions and solutions as often there is not enough time to do all the things we would like to see done. I hope that answers the questions regarding "What the heck is he doing?". What else can i tell you?

Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

I do agree that the information can be quite useful.  The posts are based on real-world issues and have, what I am assuming is, a correct solution or workaround.  However it is more of a knowledge base entry than a question, and I can see where that seems a bit beyond what the forum is for.

I do think though, that if you are going to take the time to post, that you should also answer questions about your post.  You could also employ a reverse-kudos system where if someone asks a valid question or post that helps better describe/clarify the issue or otherwise lends validity about your post, that you reward that person with a Kudos point.

Just my 1/50th of a US Dollar (value declared at your locality).

-Bob

----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!
chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

Valid comments. WIll look to be more dilligent about monitoring my postings and responding. And the suggestion to give someone "Kudos" for engaging in the debate is also valid.

I do the posting with an expert repsonse but not the ONLY solution or answer to the question. That is why I ask the community to review and respond if they have other solutions or experiences or questions regarding the posting question or the response. Even among equals there are differences of opinions and experiences that I would ask the forum to share.

And again, thanks for the comments.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Thanks chuckk for clarification.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!