BladeSystem - General
1748090 Members
5064 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Mixing Proliant G1, G5, G6, G7 Gen8 blades within C7000 Vitrtual Connect enclosure

chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

Mixing Proliant G1, G5, G6, G7 Gen8 blades within C7000 Vitrtual Connect enclosure

Jean-Denis had a question:

One of my customer plans to mix BL460 G1, BL460 G6, BL460 G7 and BL460 Gen8 blade servers within a C7000 test enclosure with VC-Flex10 and VC-FC 8G 24 ports modules.

I assume this is fully supported ? Can you please confirm.

In his production environment he will just have G6, G7 and Gen8 within same C7000 VC enclosures

From Jeroen:

Hello Jean-Denis, This should all work perfectly fine together.

As noted on the Gen8 server label be aware of the firmware dependency:

webpic78.jpg

Any other comments?

9 REPLIES 9
TRWD IS

Re: Mixing Proliant G1, G5, G6, G7 Gen8 blades within C7000 Vitrtual Connect enclosure

I am curious about this. Did it work out for you?

We got some Gen 8 blades in today and I'm reading through the latest cloud system compatibility matrix 7.1 u1. it states:

“Gen8 blades can only mix with G7 blades in the same enclosure; they cannot mix with G5, G6, or Integrity blades.”

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c03489141/c03489141.pdf

We have a bunch of G6 blades to mix with. :(

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Re: Mixing Proliant G1, G5, G6, G7 Gen8 blades within C7000 Vitrtual Connect enclosure

Hi,

U can perfectly mix G1, G6, G7 and Gen8 blades in the same enclosure. Only for Gen8 the OA and VC firmware level must be at a certain level to be able to recognize the Gen8 blades...

And yes it works, I have plenty of enclosures like that...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
dpetersen73
Occasional Visitor

Hello,

So I have a little different twist on that question (sorry, no answers). What about  the other way around, our guys want to add a new G7 blade into a older G1 C7000 enclosure? Will that work?

Any help is appreciated!

Regards

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

> our guys want to add a new G7 blade into a older G1 C7000 enclosure? Will that work?

Again, if the OA and I/O module firmware (when applicable) is new enough to know about the blade model, it should work. If the enclosure has old gigabit-only network I/O modules, the full speed of the 10G FlexNICs obviously cannot be used - but they'll be usable as regular gigabit NICs.

MK
Michael Leu
Honored Contributor

FYI if you have old gigabit VC modules then firmware 3.60 is the last release for them. If the the next generation of blades (after Gen8) will require a newer VC they probably won't work with these VC modules.

IMPORTANT:

The HP 1/10Gb VC Enet Module (399593-B22) and the HP 1/10Gb-F VC Enet Module (447047-B21) will no longer be supported after the VC 3.60 release

HP Virtual Connect 3.60 Release Notes

Jeroen_Kleen
HPE Pro

To review our Statement on Gen8 blade support for all the C7000/C3000 Enclosures please see as well this document: mmr_kc-0100204 that is on www.hp.com/go/HPSC  http://bit.ly/ZprhKk with title: HP ProLiant Gen8 Servers - Compatibility with HP BladeSystem C7000 and C3000 Enclosures and Firmware.   For CSM there are of course seperate rules as defined by the CSM based on how we tested old and new blades together with the CSM application stack.

(I am an HPE employee)
jcasetnl

We are trying to add three of our Gen 1 blades into a new C7000 enclosure with two Gen 8 blades.

The problem we're running into is the OA/ILO will not allow us to mount any media to the Gen 1 servers.  This is the case even after we upraded the bios.  I suspect the problem is with the ILO firmware, so I'll look into that next. 

Other functions appear to work, such as integrated remote console, but we haven't thoroughly tested everything.  Obviously if we run into issues in the Virtual Connect Manager, that will be a deal-breaker.

In the meantime, I can always pop the blade into our old chassis, do the OS install, and then move it to the new. 

jagdish1

Dear Team,

I have hp bladesystem c7000  enclosure g6,  old  hp proliant server  bl 460 c g6 & it lock was vertical , it's working fine ,now want add in bl 460 c g8 in  but it's lock was horizontal , I am unable to add g8 server in chassis because  of it's horizontal server lock , You guide me for this  on urgent basis.

vanbloc

Hi Guys!

Can I mix ProLiant BL460c Gen1 servers with Gen9 servers in the same C7000 chassi?

Looking in Firmware Compatibility Matrix (https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=mmr_kc-0100204) the minimum and maximum Onboard Administrator firmware for both is compatible (Gen1 max 4.23 , Gen9 min 4.11), but on Mixing Support column appears this message: "All G6 to all Gen8 and the BL460c Gen9 (no G1 or G5) may be mixed together when using OA firmware 4.11-4.70 and VC firmware 4.30-4.50."

Note the "(no G1 or G5)" information.

I have not Virtual Connect module.

Tks!