BladeSystem - General
1753507 Members
5291 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Implementing an HP C3000 and D2220sb 4 node HyperV cluster with storevirtual VSA software

Pauln79
Occasional Contributor

Implementing an HP C3000 and D2220sb 4 node HyperV cluster with storevirtual VSA software

Hi All

I'm new to Storevirtual VSA and have a couple of questions.

My planned environment

Hardware

1 x HP C3000 (with extra 2 fans as recommended)

1 x D2220sb

4 x HP Proliant BL460c (local mirrored drives for OS)

Software Config

4 x Win 2012 R2 hosts

Microsoft Failover cluster configured

Shared storage from D2220sb configured as a CSV datastore

I understand that I have to install and connect my D2220sb to an adjacent blade. (the blade will be a Windows 2012 R2 Hyper V server).  I then install StoreVirtual VSA on that adjacent host.  (I also read that it can be a VM?).

Do I also install VSA on the three other hosts?

I understand that I also need to install HP store Virtual manager on a machine outside of the infrastructure.  ie. on another virtual machine on a different resilient cluster.

My questions are.

If the blade adjacent to the D2220sb fails, do I lose access to the storage? If this is the case, I see this as single point of failure and would like to understand how to get around this.

What about just a reboot on this blade, will I need to arrange downtime?

Should I actually be implementing 2 D2220sb's and stripping my data across the 2 so I have true redundacy in the event either the DS2220sb fails or one adjacent blade fails?

I read that every ProLiant blade comes with a StoreVirtual VSA license with a limit of 1 TB.  In my scenario, does that mean I get 4 TB's worth?

Any help would be greatly appareciated.

Thanks

Paul. 

1 REPLY 1
Pauln79
Occasional Contributor

Re: Implementing an HP C3000 and D2220sb 4 node HyperV cluster with storevirtual VSA software

Hi

Sorry one more question.  Would a BL460 gen9 be suitable or should I stick with a gen8?

Also, is a D22220sb the right storage solution for what I want to achieve? or should I be looking at something else to host my shared storage on to ensure compete resilience?  

Thanks again

Paul.