4046 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SB40c upgrade to D2200sb

meistereder78
Contributor

SB40c upgrade to D2200sb

Hello,

Is it possible to upgrade the SB40c to the new Storage Blade D2200sb.

I want to put the Disk from the SB40c into the D2200 with no new configuration on the P410 Controller.

The Raid information should be on the disk. So the only problem I see - in the SB40c is a P400 controller. Maybe this controller is not compatible with the new P410 controller.

Thanks for help.

4 REPLIES 4
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hi!

Maybe the OS on the disks is not compatible with the SB40c?
What you would need to do (at a minimum) is to make sure that drivers for the p410 is on the disks before you move them.

As both are smart array you should be able to move the disks and the array+logical drive should move too. You probably have to accept the changes when the blade boots.
meistereder78
Contributor

Hello,

Thanks for the answer.

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Of course, there might be other components as well where there aren't drivers.

sysetm board etc.

j_doe

Since I didn't find any clear answers when I looked this up I thought I would share my own experience migrating from an SB40c to a D2200sb.

The short answer is, it worked.  I carefully moved my drives, containing all my company's documents from the SB40c to the D2200sb being very careful to move the hdds in order, so that the drive in slot one of the SB40c went to slot 1 of the D2200sb, etc.

Then I had a really hard time getting my c7000 enclosure to detect the D2200sb, so I lost about 2 hours moving stuff around.  Only later finding out many people needed to start and shut down their server blades before the enclosure would see the D2200sb.

When I finally got it to detect the storage blade partnered with my BL685c and booted it I have to assume it saw the RAID.  I went into my vSphere client-selected my blade-Configuration tab-Storage.  Clicked Add Storage and it saw my virtual disks.  Added them one at a time and my virtual servers were there, waiting to be booted.

Hope this helps someone else who is in the same boat I was a few hours ago!