New Discussion юеВ

Re: 3 enclosures, same VC firmware, 1 limited to 28 VLANS

SOLVED
Go to solution
Swarm
Occasional Advisor

3 enclosures, same VC firmware, 1 limited to 28 VLANS

Hi all,

Got a weird one.  Im tring to add more than 28 VLANS to my profiles but i am limited to 28 in one of the enclosures.  Weird thing is, all VC modules are of the same firmware (4.01) and from what i can see, set up the same?

Any ideas?

Cheers

3 REPLIES 3
Casper42
Respected Contributor
Solution

You never turned on Enhanced VLAN support on one of them.

Go to VC, Domain Settings, +Ethernet, Advanced and there is a Selector there between I think Legacy and Enhanced.
This is a one way change (you cannot go back), but as long as you don't have nor will you ever have 1/10 VC modules (you are Flex-10 or higher) then there is no risk.

Change can be made online with no downtime.
Swarm
Occasional Advisor

Hi Casper,

Thanks for that, i have verified that this is indeed what was going wrong.

Can you elaborate on why the Flex10 Modules may pose a risk when enabling this feature? 

Casper42
Respected Contributor

No its the opposite and there is no risk.

Because there is a common Firmware between the old "1/10" modules and the newer Flex-10 modules, they made this into a radio button that can only be changed when the code detects you are on Flex-10 or newer.

If you were on 1/10 modules you could not turn Enhanced mode on.

The underlying reason here is the Flex-10 and higher modules have more RAM and Processing power in the ASIC and the older 1/10 Modules just simply don't have the resources to handle above the 28 specified.