4755 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Advice to upgrade the C7000 4gb Passthru Module

Padil

Advice to upgrade the C7000 4gb Passthru Module

Hi,

Need someone to advice on this.

currently in my HP blade Environment, I have C7000 with BL460c gen9 installed on it.

I have QLogic QMH2572 8Gb FC HBA on the blade, it is connect to HP 4gb FC Passthru module then connect to HP 8/8 Base (0) e-port SAN Switch.

on my spare list, I have HP QMH2672 16Gb FC HBA, currently not in use because of 4gb passthru module limitation.

I have plan to upgrade my HP 4gb FC Passthru module but not sure which model I need to buy so I can utilize my current environtment.

2 option in my mine is :

- Upgrade to HP Virtual Connect 8Gb 20-port Fibre Channel Module for c-Class BladeSystem then connect to my current SAN Switch.

- Upgrade to HP Virtual Connect 16Gb 24-port Fibre Channel Module for c-Class BladeSystem so I can use my QMH2672, but is there any problem when connect to my SAN Switch?

Thank you

3 REPLIES 3
LouisH
Valued Contributor

Well you should at least upgrade to 8Gb SAN connections. As it stands now , you are only using 4GB.

Either module will work PROVIDED you are using a supported Virtual Connect network module pair.

If you are not using VCM, then HP offers a Brocade 8GB/24 port or 16GB/24 port Interconnect module.

If using the Brocade solution then it will appear as an edge switch in your fabric and will need to be zoned just like the VC SAN modules you were asking about. If using the VC SAN modules you must add the VC SAN port wwn into fabric as well as HBA wwn to connect into fabric.

Regards,

Louis

LouisH
Valued Contributor

o be clear on this.... VC SAN modules will not work without aslo using some type of supported Virtual Connect Management module pair. The VC modules for network have the embedded managment application to "manage" the network and the additional VC SAN connections.

R,

Louis

My_IT

Hi Louis

Thanks for the response.

I have HP VC Flex-10 Enet Module installed on the Enclosure(C7000) , and I also can see the VCM is there as well.