1753857 Members
7310 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion

C7000 with VC Flex-10 direct connect to P4500 SAN - HP supported configuration

chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

C7000 with VC Flex-10 direct connect to P4500 SAN - HP supported configuration

Rich had a customer question regarding directly connecting a P4500 SAN to a VC module:

Experts

I have a customer that wants to direct connect a P4500 SAN via iSCSI to VC Flex-10 without an external switch.  Checking if this is a “HP supported” configuration?  Thanks.

From customer:

“I need to understand whether a direct attached configuration is both possible and supported by HP’s standards.

Blade Chassis C7000 w/ 2 x BLc Virtual Connect Flex-10 Modules (455880-B21) connected to P4500 SAN (BQ888A)?

Presently, the Production setup has an HP 3500 switch in-between for the iSCSI traffic from the Flex-10 modules in the Chassis to the P4500 SAN Storage Controllers.  I need to know if that switch can be eliminated?”

Reply from Hilton:

Hi Richard

The BQ888A was a multi node system. So unfortunately it’s not supported.  From the VC iSCSI Cookbook ( 4.20 )

The direct-attached scenario supports only one iSCSI device per VC Active/Active network. To support more direct-attached iSCSI devices, it’s mandatory to create for each iSCSI device an Active/Active VC network. This limitation of one device per VC Active/Active network implies that you cannot directly attach multiple HP StoreVirtual 4000 Storage nodes to the same VC domain because in a multi node environment, StoreVirtual nodes need to talk to each other and this requirement is not possible as VC don’t switch traffic between different VC networks.

webpic324.png

Other comments or suggestions?