1748104 Members
4439 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: DCC and Smart Link support for Linux

GrahamZulauf
Occasional Advisor

DCC and Smart Link support for Linux

Is there official support for DCC and Smart Link on blades with Linux?

If so, is there a specific NIC firmware level and/or kernel that must be installed?

3 REPLIES 3
chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

Which NIC are you using? It has been available for the Linux drivers for a long time. I can check to get you the latest or you can go to the BladeSystem firmware updates page to get the latest stuff. It is availabel on the HP Support Center Home page on the left navigation bar:

http://spp-pro-site2-athp.austin.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc?ac.admitted=1310053739883.503298375.1997092504

GrahamZulauf
Occasional Advisor

We are using the NC553i on the BL460c G7's. These are essentially the Emulex OneConnect (formerly ServerEngines chipsets).

The 2.6.32 Linux kernel includes a "be2net" driver for these NIC's and provide some basic functionality. This is the kernel running on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. The DCC and SmartLink functionality does not work though, even with the fully patched and up-to-date version of the 2.6.32 kernel.

At 2.6.35 it seems that some DCC and SmartLink functionality was introduced, but it still seems flakey.

ricdanger21
Advisor

Does anyone has any further information about the current status of DCC/smartlink in the mainline kernel (3.0)?

Also, with the current 2.6.32 driver, will the link go down and back up if I unplug and replug all SUS uplinks, when smartlink is disabled and SUS is active-passive?