1751967 Members
4710 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion

Failing a Virtual Connect to set default password

USAFB-Lori
Occasional Contributor

Failing a Virtual Connect to set default password

Has anyone had to fail over the Virtual Connect to set the Administrator account back to default password?  My question would be if anyone had any issues doing this while following the instructions in the Blade user guide.  I have a 460c gen1.  Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
ShaddersJDW
Occasional Advisor

Re: Failing a Virtual Connect to set default password

I had to do this after a failed firmware upgrade on our flex-10 VC modules.

If you look in VC MAnager, one will be primary & one will be standby. Usually, the one on the left (looking at the bladecenter from the rear) will be the primary module.

Make a backup of the config first.

Providing you have redundant networks configured, you can power down the module.

Wait for the other module to become primary. You can check progress by the browser ip for the other module - you know it has fully become primary when you can log in to it.

Remove the powered down module, take the cover off & move the dip switch position, put it back in & power it up. give it a few mins & then power it back down. do the same thing to put the switch back to the original setting & you will then be able to log in using the default admin account info thats on the sticker.

Hoe that helps you out?

USAFB-Lori
Occasional Contributor

Thanks!  Unfortunately I can not access the VC because I do not have the username and password.  I can get into the Online Administrator and see that it is set up as redundant.  I guess I just power off the active module in Bay 1 via the OA and hope it fails over!

aouadi
Regular Visitor

hello ,

this is the response:

HP Blade System Virtual Connect - How to Return the VC-Enet Module to Factory Default Settings to Reset Administrator Password

Information

How to return the VC-Enet module to factory default settings to reset administrator password.

Details

Option 1: Reset using system maintenance switch.

To return the VC-Enet module to factory default settings to reset the Administrator password, access the system maintenance switch.

NOTE: For switch locations, see the appropriate module system maintenance switch information.

When the VC-Enet module system maintenance switch 1 is in the ON position, the following actions occur:

• The firmware restores the Administrator account password and DNS Settings to the factory defaults listed on the module label (without disturbing any other local user accounts).

• The VC-Enet module management console displays the Administrator account password.

To access the console, see the HP BladeSystem Onboard Administrator User Guide .

Click here to access the technical article

at: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00705292/c00705292.pdf.

While switch 1 is in the ON position and reserved switches are in the OFF position, passwords are restored during each power-up sequence, but changes are not allowed.

After switch 1 is returned to the OFF position, the following conditions exist:

• Users with appropriate privileges can change the Administrator password.

• The VC-Enet module management console no longer displays the Administrator password.

Steps to recover a password:

1. Remove the Virtual Connect Ethernet module from interconnect bay 1.

2. Remove the access panel from the Virtual Connect Ethernet module.

3. Set switch 1 to the ON position. Be sure that all other switches remain in the OFF position.

4. Install the access panel.

5. Install the Virtual Connect Ethernet module into bay 1 and allow the module to power up and reach a fully booted and operational state (approximately 1 minute).

6. Remove the Virtual Connect Ethernet module from interconnect bay 2.

This action forces the module in interconnect bay 1 to run the active VC Manager. Because switch 1 is set, the Administrator password remains at the factory default for interconnect bay 1 (not overwritten by the change of state because of the failover).

7. Wait to ensure that the VC Manager has had time to become active on the module in interconnect bay 1. Log in to the VC Manager to confirm it is active.

8. Insert the Virtual Connect Ethernet module into interconnect bay 2 and allow the module to power on and reach a fully booted and operational state (approximately 1 minute).

9. Remove the Virtual Connect Ethernet module from interconnect bay 1.

10. Remove the access panel from the Virtual Connect Ethernet module.

11. Set switch 1 to the OFF position. Ensure that all other switches remain in the OFF position.

12. Install the access panel.

13. Install the Virtual Connect Ethernet module into interconnect bay 1 and allow the module to power up and reach a fully booted and operation state (approximately 1 minute).

14. Log in to the active VC Manager. Use the factory default user name and password to log in to the module. (regardless of its location in interconnect bay 1 or interconnect bay 2.

15. Change the Administrator password.

Option 2: Reset by reseating the modules in different interconnect bays or a differnt enclosure.

1. Pull both VC modules out from Bays 1 and 2 with the enclosure powered on.

2. Place the VC modules from Bays 1 and 2 into Bays 3 and 4 Respectively, and wait for around 4 minutes for the VC Modules to power up completely. This will reset each VC Module back to factory defaults.

3. Replace the VC Domains back into Bays 1 and 2.

Even Moving the VC Modules to different Enclosures will reset the modules back to factory defaults.

i am an HP employee.
k_1-HpE-gUy
Occasional Collector

Thanks for the rich information, i was just wondering if there is any other option that doesn't requrie one to power on and off because i am in an environment that is mission critical.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Best regards,

HPE Ethusiast