6775 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Maximum number of FlexNics on Server 2012 R2

DNadon
Occasional Visitor

Maximum number of FlexNics on Server 2012 R2

Hello,

We have a C7000 environment populated with BL460c Gen7 blades.  Each blade has (in addition to the LOM) a HP NC522m mezzanine card.  The blades have been patched with the latest (at the time of this posting) BIOS, firmware, driver, and OS updates.

We also have 2 x VC FlexFabric 10Gb/24-Port Modules in interconnect bays 1 and 2, along with 2 x VC Flex-10 Enet Module in interconnect bays 5 and 6.  All Virtual Connect modules are running firmware version 4.50 and are configured for horizontal stacking only.

We have presented a total of 8 flex nics and 2 flex FCoE adapters to each blade.  The FCoE adapters show up fine, but only 7 of the 8 flex nics are visible.  Additionally, one of the flex NICs has an odd MAC address that doesn't show up in the server profile (we're using HP assigned MAC addresses and WWNs).

It's quite possible that I don't understand a key concept of the Virtual Connect architecture, but I can't figure out why not all of my NICs are showing up properly.  Is this a Windows Server 2012 R2 limitation or am I trying something with the number of NICs that isn't possible.

Thanks