7229 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Virtual Connect (VC) 4Gb Fibre Channel Module questions

chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

Virtual Connect (VC) 4Gb Fibre Channel Module questions

John was working with a customer on a Fibre Channel problem:

I have a customer who is having trouble getting two 4GB VC Fabric modules to connect to a Brocade fabric switch correctly and show as initiators in NPIV mode. Then then found this in the user guide for VirtualConnect v4.10.

VC-FC modules

o HP VC 4Gb Fibre Channel Module for BladeSystem c-Class (enhanced NPIV)

o HP VC 8Gb 24-Port Fibre Channel Module for BladeSystem c-Class

o HP VC 8Gb 20-Port Fibre Channel Module for BladeSystem c-Class

• HP VCM

NOTE: Beginning with VC 4.10, the HP 4GB Virtual Connect Fibre Channel Module is no longer

supported.

They have Virtual Connect 4GB FC modules but in the supported modules list it shows in brackets beside the 4GB module ‘enhanced NPIV’. Looking in the Quick specs I see only one part number for the 4GB module, what is the enhanced NPIV module?

The customer told me when upgrading to v4.10 it recognised the fabric modules and upgraded them successfully.

Input from Mark:

Look closely at the marketing description.

HP Virtual Connect 4Gb Fiber Channel Module vs. HP 4Gb Virtual Connect Fiber Channel Module

If VC 4.10 updated the modules successfully, then you have the HP Virtual Connect 4Gb Fiber Channel Module (409513-B22).

The HP 4Gb Virtual Connect Fiber Channel Module (409513-B21) was dropped in VC 4.10 from the supported list.

This has been shared on PDL before. So they both support NPIV, the logins per uplink and downlink were increased with the B22 hardware.

webpic245.png

Also some documentation from Hoa:

FYI. The Support Document regarding this change.

Other comments or questions?