BladeSystem - General
1753511 Members
5143 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion

Virtual Connect showing linked active on both ports with different Link Aggregation Group (LAG) ID's

chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

Virtual Connect showing linked active on both ports with different Link Aggregation Group (LAG) ID's

Joe was looking for some help with Virtual Connect and LAG groups:

Not being a network expert, I’m seeing a problem when looking at interconnect bays information. I was under the impression when we configure active/active in VC we should see identical LAG id’s. The screenshots show different LAG id’s but still show linked active on both ports. What am I missing here?  This same customer has a different enclosure setup with everything looking good where the LAAG id’s are correct. I’m trying to help them identify where the configuration issue is

Any pointers are greatly appreciated. They connect to Cisco routers, I’m not sure what model number is and they have no shared uplink sets configured.

Mark answered:

LAG ID is specific to a VC-Module and there is no correlation to these IDs between other modules. Anytime these IDs on different modules happen to be the same is purely coincidental.

So basically what I’m saying is based on these screenshots, it’s not showing a problem.

Bay 1 reports X2/10Gb in a Network called …206_A and is Active.

Bay 2 reports X2/10Gb in a Network called …206_B and is Active.

The purpose of the LAG ID being shown on this page is so the customer can understand what physical ports are Aggregated together to form a logical group.

In this case only X7/X8 are aggregated together and form a 20Gb aggregation which is used as a Stacking Link, (same LAG ID (Bay 1 is 26).. while Bay 2 reports X7/X8 aggregation as LAG 27.

So Joe replied to Mark:

OK So then the LAG id would only come into play if we had multiple uplinks on one module aggregated? Then they would need to be identical ?

Mark replied:

Yes, the LAG ID should be identical on ports in a aggregation (Channel/Group/Bond) that originate from the same module. If they are not identical, that would indicate a problem or a mis-configuration.

Any other comments or input?