New Discussion

Cannot access to BL460c Blade Servers from External Network

SOLVED
Go to solution
kunbong
Occasional Advisor

Cannot access to BL460c Blade Servers from External Network

Hi everybody!

We have a HP C7000 Encolosure with 4 BL460c Gen 8 blades in the front size of it. In back size of the C7000 we have 2 SAN Switch, 2 HP BLc GbE2c Layer 2/3 Switch and 2 Onboard Administrator Module.

Everything is work fine with IP Addresses like this:

Active OA:

IP Address: 172.16.0.253

Stanby OA:

IP Address: 172.16.0.254

BL460c blade server on Bay 1:

iLO IP Address: 172.16.0.10

BL460c blade server on Bay 2:

iLO IP Address: 172.16.0.11

BL460c blade server on Bay 9:

iLO IP Address: 172.16.0.19

BL460c blade server on Bay 10:

iLO IP Address: 172.16.0.20

We can ping from pc which connected to iLO port on Onboard Administrator (OA) to that IP Addresses above. (can i call it MANAGE PC?)

Continue, We access OA through Web 172.16.0.253 then use Intergrated Console to control 4 blade servers. We mounted ESXi 5.1 U1 image and installed it on 4 blade servers successfully.

We manually config the IP Address on each ESXi server (like this):

BL460c blade server on Bay 1 as ESXi server 1:

IP Address: 10.0.0.11

BL460c blade server on Bay 2 as ESXi server 2:

IP Address: 10.0.0.12

BL460c blade server on Bay 9 as ESXi server 9:

IP Address: 10.0.0.19

BL460c blade server on Bay 10 as ESXi server 10:

IP Address: 10.0.0.20

Now, we can ping from ESXi server 1 to other ESXi server. I want to say 4 blade server can ping together.

BUT:

- we can't ping that blade servers from MANAGE PC (that PC connect to iLO port on OA. In this scene, MANAGE PC has IP Address 172.16.0.100/16)

- we unplug network cable from iLO port then plug it to port number 24 on HP BLc GbE2c LY 2/3 Switch, then set IP Address of MANAGE PC to 10.0.0.100/24. Still the same, can't access that servers

Anybody can explain me how to access that server (ping, http etc...). Do we have to config the HP BLc GbE2c LY 2/3 Switch? We read many many guide on HP website but they didn't mentioned about Routing or Switch configure

Thanks in advance!

8 REPLIES 8
David_Schwartzs
Honored Contributor

Re: Cannot access to BL460c Blade Servers from External Network

As far as the connections between the 172.16.x.x and 10.0.0.x networks, is there a router/gateway defined & active that enables communication between these different subnets?

Also, are your ethernet switches installed in the correct interconnect bays? Assuming you're using the built-in NICs, they should be installed in Bay 1 & 2. (And the SAN switches should be in 3&4, assuming your fiber channel adapters are in Mezz Slot 1 on each server).
Regards,
--
David Schwartzstein
IT Channel Sales Expert / Solutions Architect

Currently looking for my next opportunity - http://www.linkedin.com/in/pctechyoda

If my post solves your problem, please kindly take a moment to mark my post as a solution. Thank you.
kunbong
Occasional Advisor

Hi David!

I didn't define any gateway or use router. I just use one laptop which connect directly to OA and GbE2c Layer 2/3 Switch. When i connect the laptop to GbE2c Layer 2/3 Switch, i set static IP address 10.0.0.100 / 24 as the same network address with blade servers. Is there need a router?

Yes, i think my switch install corectly. I installed GbE2c Layer 2/3 Switch on Bay 1 and Bay 2, and SAN Switch on Bay 5 and Bay 6. Because i see Mezz 2 was mapped to Bay 5 and Bay 6. May i wrong? Port info function on Insigh Display of C7000 didn't show any error.

I also setup EBIPA IP Address for all BAYs in C7000 system and i can ping them all. I can access web interface of GbE2c Layer 2/3 Switch but i didn't config anything here.

Wish to hear from you soon!

Thank you!

David_Schwartzs
Honored Contributor

There shouldn't be any need for a router if the laptop's directly connected to the switch and has an IP defined on the same subnet, no.

And, if your fiber channel adapters are in Mezz 2, then bays 5 & 6 would be correct, yes.

Do you have anything installed in Mezz 1? Extra ethernet ports, for example? I'm wondering if your IPs are correctly assigned to the internal FlexLOM ports on the blades, or if perhaps the IPs are assigned to other ports (such as would be on a Mezz 1 card) that aren't externally accessible because there's no interconnects in Bays 3 & 4.
Regards,
--
David Schwartzstein

Currently looking for my next opportunity - http://www.linkedin.com/in/pctechyoda

If my post solves your problem, please kindly take a moment to mark my post as a solution. Thank you.
kunbong
Occasional Advisor

No, i didn't have anything installed on mezz 1. I checked many time, the Insigh Display show everything is correct with green color.

But i don't understand how to set IP Address to FlexLOM ports. I set it up on ESXi environment like set it up in Properties of Network Connection in Windows OS.

I set ip address like in this image, only one difference: my IP Address is 10.0.0.11 / 24 (for blade on bay 1):

http://www.sysadmintutorials.com/images/st/vmware/esxi/setup/11-esxi-setup.jpg

kunbong
Occasional Advisor

I have just setup a Vitual system like this:

1: on my laptop, i install VMware Workstation 8, then install ESXi 4.1

2: i set ip address of VMware Network Adapter VMnet8  on physical laptop to 192.168.17.1, then i set ip address of ESXi 4.1 virtual server to 192.168.17.222 / 24 with 192.168.17.1 as default gateway. Then everything is ok!

Yeah, now i think i have to setup an IP Address for a gateway in C7000 system. But how to?

If my ESXi server had IP Address 10.0.0.1 / 24 with 10.0.0.1 as gateway, which device, interface or port i have to config to get this IP Address? Can i setup a gateway on GbE2c switch?

David_Schwartzs
Honored Contributor
Solution

I'm looking at that same tutorial -
http://www.sysadmintutorials.com/tutorials/vmware-vsphere-4/esxi-4/setting-up-vmware-esxi-4/

As illustrated in steps 6-9, do you have the NIC ports properly activated? And do you have the ports defined to the correct (or no) VLAN tagging?

Also, a thought - are you using the HP custom ESXi image? It may be a driver issue if you're not using the HP image or properly creating a custom image yourself with the right drivers. You can download the HP customized image here:
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/software/vmware/esxi-image.html

Hope this helps!
Regards,
--
David Schwartzstein

kunbong
Occasional Advisor

Yes, i used custom ESXi image which preconfig by WMware for HP Proliant. And i think it had corect drivers because i can ping blades together.

I didn't config any VLANs, and it currently NOT SET. But you show me big suggestion. My blades have 4 NICs, 2 of them are FlexLOM which connected to 2 different switch. I connected my laptop to switch on bay 1, maybe current connection of blades was mapped to switch on bay2.

I will check again at tomorow.

Thank you very much!

kunbong
Occasional Advisor

This is my mistake!

My servers have 2 FlexLOM connections. Only one connection was enabled for "management network" in ESXi. I don't understand it then i enabled 2 connections. That cause outside network cannot access to them.

I have just disabled one connection and everything work fine.

Thank david, you are great with perfect tutorial!