3100 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Capture Windows 2008 R2 sp1 sysprep job failing and destroying original OS

chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

Capture Windows 2008 R2 sp1 sysprep job failing and destroying original OS

Warren was having an OS deloyment issue:

I am still continuing to have problem capturing and deploying a Win 2008 R2 sp1 image.

Here is a list of things that I have tried.

Ran some BCDEDIT commands found here:

http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/deploying-vista-or-server-2008-image-getting-corrupt-winloadexe

This is what I have come up with so far…

If you deploy the image it fails at the Windows Boot Manager.

If manually reboot and go into WINPE and run the BCDedit commands (I scripted it)

C:

bcdedit /set {DEFAULT} device boot

bcdedit /set {DEFAULT} osdevice boot

bcdedit /set {BOOTMGR } device boot

The problem is resolved…

You can see that I can use these commands because the c: is set to active according to diskpart

Now I cannot figure out a way to automate this process.   Does/Has anyone figured out a way that you can fix this issue with just 1 job without any manual intervention?

In the mean time I am currently trying to recapture the image and trying to fix the problem at the source.  Apparently the problem is as follows:

Cause

Disk signature is a unique identifier Windows uses to remember drive letter assigments. If this identifier gets changed or corrupted, such as in situations of disk cloning or partition removal, a new signature would need to be created so Windows can re-identify and regenerate drive mappings; however, the WIndow's boot manager would also need to be directed to this new information or the above error is generated.

According to Symantec:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH169590

The image capture failure I was able to fix by writing my own wincapture-sysprep script rather than using the canned (broken) script.

Warren found an answer to his problem:

I was able to fix the problems with the following capture job:

webpic148.png

Any comments or questions?