1748154 Members
3608 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP 1/10GB-F VC Enet 447047-B21 with vsphere 5.1

Pazzoide1976
Frequent Advisor

HP 1/10GB-F VC Enet 447047-B21 with vsphere 5.1

Hi I need some information on the compatibility of the apparatus 1/10GB-F VC Enet HP 447047-B21 with VMware vSphere 5.1 as I do an 'upgrade from version 4.1 to release 5.1.
The component in question is compatible with the HP Virtual Connect firmware 3.60 (and not higher) and is currently installed fw 3.51.
The blades that use the virtual connect bl460c are proliant g6 (bnx2x drivers) running vmware esx 4.1.
Reading the document hp HP Flex-10 and Flex-Fabric Supportability not find a match between the network card driver bnx2x, firmware 3.60 and connect the virtual version of esxi 5.x. I attach a summary table.

So the question is as follows:
The configuration consists of HP 1/10GB-F VC Enet with fw 3.60 and blades bl460c g6 is compatible with vSphere 5.1?

thanks

greetings

7 REPLIES 7
Jeroen_Kleen
HPE Pro

With the current reference in place the VC 1/10F with VC FW 3.60 at max. would not match the driver revisions that Vmware 5.1 would need so it would not be supported by hp; it might work but would not have our mark of tested and known to be good working configuration.
(I am an HPE employee)
Jags_21
HPE Pro

Hi,

The HP VMware recipe should answer the details on the compatibility for ESXi 5.0/ESXi 5.1 for all drivers, firmware, Server BIOS, OA and VC firmware on all supported server models. With present recipe VC 3.75 firmware is supported on ESXi 5.0 / ESXi 5.1

Click here for latest HP VMware Recipe.

Thanks,

Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise.
I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Server-Support
Super Advisor

Hi,

Assuming that we have working HP SUM or inserting the bootable SPP into the each of the Blade server through the iLO interface, can we safely perform the firmware upgrade automatically without worrying about which sequence or order for the firmware upgrade ?

Best regards,
Casper42
Respected Contributor

Because the 1/10 modules are limited to 3.60, there is actually a support statement in place that HP will be regression testing VC 3.60 with all future SPPs up to the support life of the 1/10 modules.

So you should be fine upgrading VC to 3.60 and the G6 server to the latest SPP (2013.09b at the time of this writing) and then installing vSphere 5.1 using the latest HP Customized ISO)
Server-Support
Super Advisor

Cool thanks Casper42,

So in this case I will perform offline Firmware update by using that SPP DVD bootable and then followed by the vSphere upgrade.

In this case the HP SUM any version does not support online discovery for the firmware since the OS is ESXi 4.1.

Best regards,
Casper42
Respected Contributor

Correct, only vSphere 5.0 and higher.
There are also still some lingering items that will not do an online update via vSphere 5.
I asked the SUM Product Manager for a list of those last week but don't yet have it.
If you had one of those components, you would have to update it online, and unfortunately I don't think the online scanner of SUM will alert you to the fact that you have a newer one than whats deployed but must upgrade offline.

I asked them to see about adding that as a future feature in SUM. If you can't do it online, at least put some kind of a stub in there to alert the user that they need to do it offline. A Smart Component with no payload basically.
Server-Support
Super Advisor

Thank you Casper for the clarification it is make sense for now, since I am not the only one.

Best regards,