1747985 Members
4246 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Newbie to Virtualization

OldPatch

Newbie to Virtualization

Hello,

We have recently implemented our new HP Blade C3000 enclosure.

I am a newbie to the interface, so any help would be appreciated.

Anyway, here’s where the situation stands:

I have 3 blades installed in the enclosure, and the three iLO’s are available, all running WIndows Server 2008 R2.

VMM 2008R2 has been installed on BLADE1, and all 3 Blades have been incorporated as hosts via VMM.

I was able to successfully create a Virtual Image of one of our local servers, and am able to connect to the imaged server via the iLO.

When I check the network settings on the Virtual Machine, the static ip of the original server is still set, but it shows that the Local area connection is unplugged?

I’m not sure what I’m missing here. I know there are two interconnect bays installed in the enclosure, but I’m not sure if I need to connect a cable to one of the unutilized ports, and, if that’s the case, how to tell the virtual machine where it’s LAN connection resides.

We had HP reps install the hardware and configure it to the point that we could install MS System Center VMM 2008 R2. It looks to me like all the ports on the enclosure are utilized, except for the last one on each module.

I hope this makes some sense. Needless to say that no training has been provided so I'm flying by the seat of my pants here, and fully expect that I have missed some crucial step or steps.

It boils down to the fact that I need to be able to access the virtual machines from systems on our local area network,

and I have no idea how to make that happen.

Hoping to leap the hurdle as it will sure be nice to reclaim the real estate taken up by the unweildly amount of servers we have racked precariously.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Re: Newbie to Virtualization

Hi!

First off, find out what kind of hardware you have. Maybe draw a map or something to help you figure out how the network is set up.

There is at least one OA (onboard adminnistrator) in the enclosure. You can connect to this via IP and in there you will find more details about how the ports are mapped and what kind of interconnect modules you have.

As for what you might need to do to a VM after you've cloned it I don't know, maybe somebody else here can assist.

But,

http://blogs.technet.com/b/chenley/archive/2011/03/23/exporting-cloning-virtual-machines-on-hyper-v-with-windows-server-2008-r2.aspx

this was one of the first hits I got on google.

There ought to be hits that tell you what you need to do in the VM after it's been cloned.

When you originally had the machine it had a physical network card. But now it's virtual. Maybe you need to "create a network card " for the VM?