1751687 Members
5690 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Virtualization blade: Meet the ProLiant BL495c

jnewtonhp
HPE Pro

We launched this new blade September 2, with the aim of taking out the top bottlenecks to virtual server hosting and performance. You can learn all about it here: www.hp.com/go/bladesystem/news Let us know if you have any questions about the new blade or if you have any feedback or ideas for future versions. Let's talk! [Updated on 9/4/2008 2:35 PM]
11 REPLIES 11
jnewtonhp
HPE Pro

Not today, but we intend to add it as an option in the near future. We're working with VMware on it now.
nini1973

How about Citrix XenServer?
jnewtonhp
HPE Pro

Xen hypervisor is certified now, with HP's integrated hypervisor option following in a few weeks. Due to Hurricane Ike (and because a lot of our web operations are in Houston), some of the certification matrices and option lists on hp.com haven't been updated to reflect the new BL495c. Sorry we didn't have this certification info on hp.com already!
dbernard

I am very interested in purchasing a HP BL495c. I believe that this server uses a NetXen NC532i embedded 10gb NIC. We currently have a problem on our BL460c blades when we try to install more than 31GB of RAM. I found this kb article at vmware.com: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=1003046&sliceId=1&docTypeID=DT_KB_1_1&dialogID=34272289&stateId=1%200%2034270764 I would like to know if I can expect the same problems with the BL495c? [Updated on 10/3/2008 11:13 AM]
danielrbowers
Occasional Advisor

The NC532i embedded in the BL495c is based on a Broadcom 57711 controller, not a NetXen controller. There aren't limits on the memory configuration with this Broadcom controller. Full specs for the BL495c G6 are here: http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13140_div/13140_div.HTML
dbernard

Great to hear, thanks!
beovax
Advisor

We are very interested in deploying these instead of full height BL480c's. Will this blade support a minium of 6 live NIC's? Other half height blades as I understand only support 4 live nics with remaining nics availalbe for failover
stevebarry

Beovax, Actually depending on how you configure your network, the answer is yes. What are your requirements for 10Gb? If you are looking at the 495 at 1Gb, the embedded NICs can run at 1Gb with existing switches, so you will have two dual port NICs at 1Gb embedded. If you add the HP NC325m quad port adapter, you will have 8 1Gb ports. The NICs need not be redundant, although most customers prefer to operate that way. There is more to the BL495 I/O story that may help with your decision to deploy, but I have to say "stay tuned" for the answer.
beovax
Advisor

Thank you for the quick reply. We have just read the tech specs whcih says the following NOTE: If the NC364m is installed in mezzanine slot 1 of a half-height server, connectivity will be provided on only 2 of the 4 ports. Does this mean we can use the 2 onboard, 2 ports from a card in mezzanine slot 1, and 4 ports from a card in mezzanine slot 2. The 2 onboard conenctions would connect to bays 1 & 2 respectively The 2 ports in mezzanine slot 1 would connect to bays 3 & 4 respectively The 4 ports in mezzanine slot 2 would connect to bays 5,6,7 & 8 respectively