3682 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: BL465c G7 hangs on reboot

Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the heads up.
It would be nice if they could have changed the version number, maybe when it gets the official nod.

Moved all our hosts to a chassis that has the vc switches & OA at the correct level and inital testing of vMotion etc. now much better.

I'll keep an eye out for the updated patch.
AaronK
Frequent Advisor

I think we may be seeing 'similar' issues with our BL460c G7s.
I have had 2 blades now that have 'hung' while going into Maintenance mode. and when we forced the NMI PSOD, VMware has said it points to the be2net driver.
We are running version 2.102.518.0.

AK
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Yep, sounds like it. As Chris has mentioned there is a test release of an updated driver that does seem to fix the issue. But I've not seen any final updates available yet. I will update the thread when I get hold of the update.
seehigh1
Advisor

Hi all, this driver version will fix the problem, Enjoy:

http://downloads.vmware.com/d/details/esxi4x_emulex_blade_10gb_dt/ZHcqYnRkdCVidGR3

catastro
Super Advisor

Hi all. I have had this same problem with four BL465c G7, and I had to open a HP support case for solving it.
First, HP thought about changing all memory DIMM (128 Gb in each sever), and did it, but dis didn´t solve my problem at all.
Then, they thought about changing two of the system boards. The new ones had HKM or 0KM revisions, and then we cleaned the NVRAM taking out the battery for about one minute.

I am pretty sure that all this ECC erros and the ESX OS hang, were all because of the system board.

And all went fine for about 30 days with no problems. Then, the VMWare POSD appeared (this is another thing. After a couple months complaining about this, a new FW release is out, and from HP the promise this is solved with this.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=3709945&prodSeriesId=4132949&swItem=MTX-1be5adea3d5b469d881d840c14&prodNameId=4132827&swEnvOID=4091&swLang=8&taskId=135&mode=4&idx=0

For me, after replacing the system board in all four servers, these problems have dissapeared; and updating the FW I hope the VMWare POSD will do as well.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

In order to make the G7 stable with ESXi 4.1 we did the following:
Updated BIOS to the latest version.
Updated the Be2Net Driver and Firmware to the latest version. The very latest stops the shutdown hang.
Made changes in the BIOS settings:
â ¢ System Options
o Processor Options
§ No execute memory protection -> Disabled
o Embedded NICS
§ Embedded NIC Boot Options -> Disabled

â ¢ Power Management
o Advanced Power Management -> Minimum Processor Idle Power State
-> No C-States
o HP Power Profile -> Max Performance
o HP Power Regulator -> HP Static High Performance

â ¢ Advanced Options
o Advanced System ROM Options
§ MPS Table Mode -> Full Table APIC
o Advanced Performance Tuning Options
§ Enabled Node Interleaving -> Disabled
linuxbass
Occasional Advisor

have the same issue with 2 bl685c G7's and ESXi 4.1. (HP ESXi 4.1 348481 build) All seems fine except no proper shutdown. System hangs and has to be hard reset or shutoff.

Have the BIOS updated, still no luck.

I do see you had updated Be2Net Driver and Firmware to the latest version and that solved the problem. I can't find that driver/firmware.

Could you please send the URL of that driver, or additional info. What hardware is that for? I don't see a driver described as Be2Net in the sofware/drivers section of bl685 G7 blades.

thanks kindly for your help!
~linuxbass
linuxbass
Occasional Advisor

Solved: ESXi 4.1 Hang on shutdown bl685c G7 48 core 512G RAM

I found that a combination of these actions solved the problem.

1)Using the latest HP image of ESXi4.1 (4.1_U1_April)
2)Update the BIOS to April 15 2011
3)Update the be2nic driver to 2.102.554

All is well and systems appear to be working normally.
Kinsleyd

Just like you at first, LinuxBass, I am unable to find how to update the be2net driver.  I downloaded, and installed the latest update package for the NC551i driver, but my nics sitll show as 2.102.517.7

Not sure what I'm missing.  Any guidance is greatly appreciated.