BladeSystem - General
1748203 Members
3285 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: USB 3.0 compatibility on BL460C server blade?

Thisbejoe7
Advisor

USB 3.0 compatibility on BL460C server blade?

I have a C3000 enclosure with BL460C G1 and G6 blades. I'm trying to conncet a USB 3.0 (backwards compatible with USB 2.0) external hard drive via the dongle in the front of the server blade. I am unable to get the OS on the server blade to see the USB drive, the lights (indicators) on the external drive also don't illuminate once its connected to the USB plug on the dongle like it does when connected to my PC. I've verified the drive works ok on DL series servers with a normal USB port and also on my PC. Is this a known issue? Anything I can do?
8 REPLIES 8
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

hello,
check if you have latest firmware of blade OA (3.21). On other hand, I never tried USB disk on blade chasis...

jan
Trygve Henriksen
Respected Contributor

Is the drive powered by its own PSU(wall wart or something)?

It's possible that the USB-port in the server isn't delivering enough power to run the drive. (If you don't have a wall wart, you could use a powered USB-hub)

Another possibility is that the USB-port is disabled.
Thisbejoe7
Advisor

The external drive is a powered drive, it does not need power from the USB port. The chassis firmware is 3.20 and the the blade iLo is the very latest from Dec 2010.

I purchased a USB 2.0 drive of the same model and it works perfectly fine on the blade through the dongle. It must be a compatibility issue with USB 3.0 and the blades.
Jarrod Lamp

Has there been a fix released for this issue? I have a C7000 enclosure with multiple BL460 G7's and BL490 G7's. We have the same exact issue with the USB 3.0 drives. I can plug a USB 2.0 drive in without any issues. Is there a hotfix for this?
Jarrod Lamp

FYI, the OA firmware is 3.21
Robert Berlin
Occasional Visitor

To All:

On 03/08/2013, we simply inserted a USB 2.0 compliant "hub" between the dongle and the USB 3.0 compliant device.  The Hub converted the USB 3 connection to a USB 2 connection and resolved the issue.  We attached a Buslink encrypted drive to two (2) unique c7000 enclosures using this technique.  Apparently the blade dongle either doesn't convert the USB 3 input to USB 2 or does not not recognize the USB 3 input at all and hence the device is not presented to the OS.

Casper42
Respected Contributor

Just as a quick FYI, the OA version has nothing to do with front panel connections to the SUV cable (Serial USB Video).
That all comes from the blade itself.

So if you wanted to try to upgrade something and make it work, I would try the SPP to get the machine upgraded to the latest firmware.

But even then it sounds like there is an incompatibility somewhere and the USB2 HUB is probably the best bet to bypass this issue.

Note that for Thumb drives (instead of Hard drives) there is an Internal USB port in all blades as well. That may have better luck as its not going through the SUV adapter so the pinouts should be standard.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

If you google for "usb 3 connector" you can see how it looks like.

On some plugs the USB 2 connectors of a USB 3 plug are just too short, so you don't have connectivity (I have seen this on several USB 3 thumb drives).

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!