HPE Business Insights
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How CIOs can overcome contradictory demands

Alec_Wagner on ‎05-16-2013 06:00 AM

We’ve just posted a new story on the main Discover Performance site that looks at one of the biggest challenges a CIO faces—the completely conflicting demands of the job. Recruiter Martha Heller has written a new book, “The CIO Paradox,” so we talked to her about what today’s IT leader is up against.

Heller’s book details 11 common paradoxes, probably the most obvious being the maintenance-innovation challenge: keeping legacy apps and infrastructure at their best, yet also innovating, delivering new apps and services, and doing it all faster than ever before.  And Heller tells us that the latest tech trends are not helping that problem:

“One CIO told me, ‘Just when I finish deploying mobile phones and laptops, here I am dealing with another wave of consumer technology in tablets and smartphones,’ ” she says. 

The book is not a ginned-up “6 Secret Steps to Excellence” prescription, but a more thoughtful look at how other CIOs have beaten these apparent Catch 22s. It’s meant to inspire IT leaders to find the routes to success that work with their own challenges and organizations rather than getting the entire IT world marching to the same simple beat.  Check out the interview here, and from there, take a look at the book.

0 Kudos
About the Author

Alec_Wagner

Alec Wagner is a longtime writer & editor, enterprise IT insider, and (generally) fearless digital nomad.

Labels
Events
Aug 29 - Sep 1
Boston, MA
HPE Big Data Conference 2016
Attend HPE’s Big Data Conference on August 29 - September 1, 2016 to learn from peers in every industry and hear from Big Data experts and thought lea...
Read more
Sep 13-16
National Harbor, MD
HPE Protect 2016
Protect 2016 is our annual conference on September 13 - 16, 2016, and is the place to meet the world’s top information security talent, discuss new pr...
Read more