New Discussion

CMU 7.1 - Multiple Windows Broadcast Issue

SOLVED
Go to solution
BrentGee
Advisor

CMU 7.1 - Multiple Windows Broadcast Issue

I noticed the following strange behavior:

When I run the CMU GUI remotely from the CMU server (a linux box) and I execute Multiple Windows Broadcast for all the blades in any given HP C7000 enclosure, the locations of all 32 windows are evenly distributed across both my monitors. To me, this is the desired behavior.

However, if I run the CMU GUI locally from my workstation (OS X  10.8.5) and execute the same command, all 32 windows are displayed in only one of my two monitors. So, in the end, I get 12 windows that overlap each other. This is not desireable.

Is this something that I can somehow configure? I don't understand why both machines perform the same action differently. Does this have something to do with the JRE on each machine? Any info would be very helpful. I can attach a screen shot, if that helps.

Thanks for your time.

4 REPLIES 4
Rakshika
Advisor

Re: CMU 7.1 - Multiple Windows Broadcast Issue

Hi Brent,

When you execute multiple window broadcast, you can see windows broadcast settings. You can check on manaul windows placement option and change settings accordingly.

Windows width and height are no. of characters on one window.

X shifting: next window will be placed after specified pixels on the screen in X axis.

Y shifting: next window will be placed after specified pixels on the screen in Y axis.

You can set these values according to screen resolution.

Multiple window broadcast is beneficial till limited no. of windows, after that it becomes clumpsy.

Hope it helps!

Regards,

Rakshika Gupta

BrentGee
Advisor

Hi. Thanks for the reply.

I really don't want to manually place 32 windows each time I execute a manual broadcast (I have 29 c7000 enclosures, so that would drive me mad). And I understand the basic limitations, etc.

My basic question is: Does anyone know why this works perfectly in Linux, works horribly in OS X, and if anyone knows how I can change the behavior in OS X (if possible)?

Does anyone know the answer to these questions?

Rakshika
Advisor
Solution

CMU depends on window manager of OS installed on desktop to place windows on screen, when you are not using manual settings. Java implementation for multi-screen differs from one platform to another.

Probably, you need to find a wnidow manager for OS X and set the windows placemnt settings there.

e.g. Divvy-Window manager

We are not sure but it may solve your issue.

Regards,

Rakshika Gupta

BrentGee
Advisor

Thank you very much. I appreciate the direction.