Server Clustering
1748039 Members
4841 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: NO Netboot / reboot not working ------- CMU 7.2 - ProLiant SL4540 Gen8 + RHES 6.4

SOLVED
Go to solution
NicolasR
Occasional Advisor

Re: NO Netboot / reboot not working ------- CMU 7.2 - ProLiant SL4540 Gen8 + RHES 6.4

Hi again!!!

Good news, CMU it seems to work now.

Steps taken:

-Change boot sequence to set NIC on top.

-Change serial VSP port configuration

-No further changes made at swtich level (STP is still on).

Don´t know very well, but changing serial port seems now to make the nood to boot into PXE.

DHCP offers are being sent/received. TFTP is working.

Launching Backup from CMU will boot node into PXE (previously would only shut it down).

However........and please, don´t tell me its not true, there´s a new turnaround.

error retrieving fstab file: is root partition 'sda1' correct?

sda1 is /boot partition

Everything else is being handled under LVM.

So my question is (after reading posts and user´s guide im not able to found it)

We will be able to use CMU to backup the nodes which are having FS under LVM?

Please, give me good news regarding this and tell me LVM is supported XD

Thanks!

Nicolas.-

Chintala
Advisor
Solution

Hello Nicols

Good to know that node is powering ON and PXE/TFTP working.

Unfortunatly i don't have a goodnews for you. :-(

Currently, CMU doesn't support LVM on compute nodes. It is mentined in user guide

section 2.2.2 Preinstallation limitations. User guide is under /opt/cmu/www.

While taking backup, you need to mention (select) the ROOT partion number. (not /boot partition).

From your earlier posts, you are using HPVSA. To make backup work you need to blacklist the ahci module.

This is because ahci module loads first before RAID driver (hpvsa) inside the HP Insight CMU netboot environment during backup and cloning operations. 'ahci' detects B120i (SL4540 Gen8) as a normal SATA controller and therefore RAID setup is not recognized on nodes. To blacklist 'ahci', add modprobe.blacklist=ahci to the /opt/cmu/etc/bootopts/default file. This workaround is necessary only for Dynamic Smart Arrays based on B120i.

For example:
APPEND root=/dev/nfs CMU_CONSOLE ramdisk_blocksize=512 CMU_VENDOR_ARGS ip=::::::bootp modprobe.blacklist=ahci

Do you have any other disks connected to other external controllers like p420i etc.,?

If yes, please blacklist hpsa module also by giving modprobe.blacklist=hpsa otherwise hpsa module will load before hpvsa and OS disk sda may get detected as sdX  inside the CMU netboot environment.

Let us know if you face issues.

NicolasR
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Chintala for your support.

Unfortunately we are using an HADOOP/LVM architecture due to having several disks.

In this case, using p120 (for OS)  + p420i (for big data) with FS up to 24TB.

Also tried setting modprobe/blacklist options with no success (I guess you were making reference only if we are not using LVM, so this is not the case).

So, and seeing we are not going to be able to handle this scenary, will propose some changes and let you know how we are proceeding. It would be a pitty not tu use CMU as our backup/restore tool.

In any case, your help has been very tipfull.

Best Regards,

Nicolas.-

Chintala
Advisor

Is it mandetory to use LVM on OS disks also ?

You can have non-lvm disks for OS (attached to B120i controller), and a lvm architecture for big data disks (attached to p420 controller).

While taking backup, mention only OS disk root partition. And, I belive the backup of big data disks is not necessary, as they contain different data for different nodes.

Hope this helps !