6889 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

RADA authentication on 3COM switches timeouts question

Tommy Lindqvist
Occasional Advisor

RADA authentication on 3COM switches timeouts question

Hello,

We are using RADA authentication on our LAN, and for almost every device it works flawlessly.

However, I have a question on how to handle devices that are silent for long periods of time.

( Like printers on powersave, IP-phones and some odd specialized IP-enabled equipment )

My problem is that if a port is RADA-enabled, then it will stop forwarding packets after the authentication timeout occurs. This means that ARP-requests looking for the quiet devices will not reach the device.

I have not managed to find any toggle for not shutting down forwarding on the port after this timeout.

Am I correct in my assumption, and for those devices, I will have to specify specific ports that do not use RADA authentication ?

Anyone know of a workaround ? ( For me unknown toggle, or someway to set the timeout to a really large number ? )

Regards,

Tommy

[EDIT: apologies for extra post, please see http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/E-Series/Wake-on-LAN-WOL-DOt1x/td-p/1163753 for almost exact same question. Keeping post due to different Subject, so hoping to increase chance of lure catching someone knowlegable [/EDIT]

1 REPLY 1
meehow_g
Occasional Contributor

Re: RADA authentication on 3COM switches timeouts question

Hello,

I would like to know if you found any solution.... Have the same problem now ... quiet devices (like printers) are loosing vlan access after some time... Tried mac-authentication quiet timers, guest-reauth timers and mac-address timer aging (because when plugged device is longer quiet there's "No MAC address on the port" when I try to type "display mac address interface ethernet x/0/x" command). Replugging network cable is not an answer for me :(, so I would appreciate any help.

Regards

Michal