HPE OneView
1752577 Members
3749 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Create logical interconnect - Update Firmware task spins eternally when adding Enclosure

Cottoc
Advisor

Create logical interconnect - Update Firmware task spins eternally when adding Enclosure

Hi All - 

I am currently running into a situation where when I add a new enclosure into my OneView instance, the Create logical interconnect - Update firmware subtask seems to get stuck and just spins as long as I am willing to let it. 

Some background details:

HP OneView VM - VMware vSphere
Version - 2.00.02-0219211
Firmware Bundle - SPP 2015.10.0
Adding an empty c7000 G2
HP VC FlexFabric 10Gb/24-Port Module
    OA f/w level pre add - 4.50
    VC f/w level pre add - 4.31

When I Add an enclosure it Validates the OA f/w version as being correct for the baseline and not needing an update, then claims the interconnects and configures them. It then moves on to the step where it verifys the VC f/w level as being below the baseline level (Baseline has VC f/w vers 4.45 I believe), and goes to update it. At this point, it just spins. Its never gets to the point where it informs me it is staging the firmware, and from what I can tell, it never even starts.

This seems to occur randomly, I have added approximately 26 enclosures across 3 OneView instances, and this is the 3rd time that it has happened (in 2 diff. OneView Instances). Each time I have let the task run overnight before coming back the next day and rebooting the appliance. This appears to kill the task, and I can again add the enclosure which successfully adds on the second attempt.

Has anyone else experienced this? It is not a critical issue so I have not opened any support cases for it, and I am able to resolve it with a reboot and readd of the enclosure.

I am also wondering if we have the ability to kill a task somehow. I have dug around in the PowerShell Module as well as the Rest API and havent been able to come up with anything.

Thanks!
-Cottoc
2 REPLIES 2
Cottoc
Advisor

Re: Create logical interconnect - Update Firmware task spins eternally when adding Enclosure

I see a response to recent post that answers one of questions - In regards to stopping a running task.

HONORED CONTRIBUTOR

Re: Stop a OneView Refresh Job[ New ]

Unfortunately, there isn't a way to stop a running task via the UI or API.  If the task is still running, you need to open a support case to help get it resolved.  We are looking at ways to provide the capability to stop a running async task in a future release.  Please know that I cannot comment on when in a public forum."

Ten_Admin
Occasional Advisor

Re: Create logical interconnect - Update Firmware task spins eternally when adding Enclosure

Hello Cottoc,

I also encountered this issue twice. The first time I made a supportcase and the fix was to reboot appliance, remove enclosure, add enclosure.

When I encountered the issue for the second time I made a new case and L2 wanted to dig a bit further. Last week L2 support informed me that they are able to recreate the issue in their lab and are working on a fix. The job is running for over 24 days now. Canceling jobs would be a nice feature to add.

I decided to make a supportcall as I was not sure if the firmware update was started or not. Rebooting the firmware source in the middle of an update seemed a bit scary to me as VC modules are not cheap.

Kind regards,

Raymond