New Discussion

HPE OneView vs. HPE SIM

SOLVED
Go to solution
Server-Support
Super Advisor

HPE OneView vs. HPE SIM

Hi All,

Can anyone here please explain what's the different between HP OneView and HP SIM ?

I notice that both can be used in production as freeware initially.

Best regards,
29 REPLIES 29
wilber82
Occasional Visitor

Re: HP OneView vs. HP SIM

Hey Albert,

Are you the guy had Emulex NIC problem on ESXi 5.5? :-)

I'm Wu Zheng.

My personal blog: www.zhengwu.org
Server-Support
Super Advisor

@wilber82 Yes I am.

Hi man we meet again.

Best regards,
ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

There are many differences between HPE SIM and HPE OneView.  I think it would be better to ask what are you trying to do?  Do know that HPE SIM and the Insight Mangement Suite are going to be EOL in the future (I cannot provide a timeframe in a public forum), with HPE OneView as the HPE infrastructure manager.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Server-Support
Super Advisor

@ChrisLynch my goal is to be able to monitor the HP physical servers status for any hardware related issue and also disk space usage if possible.

At the moment HP SIM is running well, So I wonder what this HP One View VIrtual Appliance can do compare to my existing HP SIM.

My understanding at the moment is that HP OneView is available as freeware and only used for HP Blade or converged infrastructure monitoring & management. 

Best regards,
WZheng
Regular Visitor

I can't believe we met again on another forum...lol

Did you implement OneView in production? I'm not confident to use it since it can be a big disaster if the OneView VM crashed....

---
vExpert
My Blog www.zhengwu.org
Server-Support
Super Advisor

It's small world after all :-)

Whoa that sounds dangerous.

Glad to hear that I'm not using it or trusting it yet.
Best regards,
Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

I use it in production... And never had real problems with it...

Why is it dangerous? If I reboot my OV appliance for an update ofr instance all my servers keep running... I just don't have monitoring for those few minutes it is rebooting...

And if it crashes it allows you to create a backup from the configuration and restore the configuration after having deployed a new OV VM instance...

I am also a heavy SIM user, don't see that happening with SIM... I need to reboot my SIM more often due to the Windows OS underneath it, restore of the config? Don't even wanna think about it...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

Did you implement OneView in production? I'm not confident to use it since it can be a big disaster if the OneView VM crashed....

I'm sorry, but I just can't agree with your statement.  If an HPE OneView appliance were to "crash" or the hypervisor hosting the appliance were to become unavailable (even if there isn't a hypervisor cluster member to restart the VM, which we do not recommend), the infrastructure it is managing will stay online and in an operational state.  You just cannot make any changes, or be alerted from the appliance until the appliance is back online.

While I would like to further discuss you opinion, please do not hijack the thread with a different conversation topic.  If you'd like to discuss this further, feel free to start a new thread or PM me.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

@Server-Support, HPE OneView will monitor supported platforms for health and inventory data, when using the HP Standard license (which would be an HP SIM-like experience.)  HPE OneView is not freeware.  There are two different licensing models:

•  HPE OneView Standard - similar to HP SIM, in that it provides you with the basic Monitoring and Inventory data for supported1 platforms. You select Monitor as the Management Intent when adding a supported DL or c7000 enclosure.  There are no license keys to manage or add.
  •  HPE OneView Advanced - Full infrastructure provisioning and life cycle management for supported1 HPE infrastructure.  Also entitles customers to use the HPE OneView for VMware vCenter or HPE OneView for Microsoft System Center plugins.  There are different SKU options to purchase, and can be added in a touch-free method (when adding a SKU to a supported DL or BL/c7000 Enclosure, the license key is added to either the iLO or OA, and OneView will read and add the key to the license pool automatically.)

HPE OneView does not integrate directly with the OS, and does not rely on or use OS Agents.  So, monitoring Disk Space utilization would not be possible with HPE OneView.  With the HPE OneView Advanced license and the plugins, you can monitor and manage your supported infrastructure from either VMware vCenter or Microsoft System Center (Opertations Manager and/or VMM). 

One of the main pain points we set out to fix was customers didn't want to install additional agents or components within their production OS if they weren't forced to.  They also didn't want to expose additional security rules from their management network(s) to the production network just for hardware monitoring sake.  So that is why HPE OneView doesn't inventory or communicate with the Host OS, and thus it can't natively monitor resources like Disk Space/Filesystem utilization.

---------------------------------------

1. http://hpe.com/info/oneview/docs, select the specific HPE OneView Support Matrix version to review supported configurations.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo