108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP OneView vs. HP SIM

SOLVED
Go to solution
Server-Support
Super Advisor

@ChrisLynch ok, if HP One View virtual appliance can perform similar tasks & functionality like HP SIM, then I'll decommission my HP SIM to future proof myself and reduce the SQL Server database use :-)

Best regards,
Server-Support
Super Advisor

@ChrisLynch

ok, so if there is already existing HP WBEM agents / SMH agent installed in all my physical servers, does HP OneView can perform the disk space scan & also hardware inventory alerting ?

Best regards,
ChrisLynch
HPE Pro
Solution

No. HPE OneView does not monitor OS or OS resources like file system usage. With an HPE OneView Advanced license, you would be entitled to use the management plugins I described above to monitor and manage the physical and OS resources.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Server-Support
Super Advisor

Thanks for the sharing @ChrisLynch if that's the case, I'll then keep on using my trusted HP SIM for physical server monitoring capabilities.

Best regards,
ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

Do you not use Microsoft System Center or VMware vCenter? 

Please keep in mind that HPSIM isn't going to be developed forever. HPE OneView is our go foward product for infrastructure monitoring and management.  HPE OneView just isn't going to carry over every feature found in HPSIM or the Insight Management Suite (aka Insight Control.)

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Server-Support
Super Advisor

@ChrisLynch Yes I do have VMware VCenter and also VeeamONE for monitoring of my VMs.

But what I do like with HP SIM isthat the ability to do:

• Physical hardware monitoring status and alert
  • Physical server disk space utilization
  • Physical server warranty maintenance reminder

That's all I use for the HP SIM v7.5, I was under the impression that the HP OneView standard edition no license can do similar things like the HP SIM above, but it turns out not according to my expectations.

Best regards,
ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

HPE OneView can monitor and provide inventory data for supported platforms.

HPE OneView will not monitor the OS side, and we point our customers to using the OS vendor's management tools to do so.  Our entitled plugins extend the OS vendors management tools to populate HPE specific

HP OneView will provide contract/warranty and call home capabilities in a future release.  I just cannot comment on when and what release in a public forum.

I would encourage you to try HPE OneView out, as at some point you will be needing HPE OneView for your HPE infrastructure monitoring and management needs.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

danilovenancio1
Visitor

I like OneView, but I preffer HP SIM, by chance someone knows how I can add item to my collections tree in "System and Event collections" by Single discovery. Help me please. 

REGARDS.

Server-Support
Super Advisor

@danilovenancio1 which part or feature that you like in HP OneView as oppose to HP SIM ?

Best regards,
CCSINFRA
Occasional Visitor

@Chris Lynch, HP Does everything here still hold up in 2017?

Currently we are looking at possibly moving toward OneView and away from HP SIM. However, before we do we were trying to figure out the key differences. I know OneView needs a dedicated Virtual Server and can do real time monitoring, something HP SIM can't.

1. Will it process alerts for systems with expired HPE support? Or Alert us when a warranty or support experation nears?
  2. Will OneView auto-generate calls for systems with HPE support when hardware fails simlar to how HP SIM does?