3609 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

OneView power off command fails unless connected via iLO IRC

toby9999
Occasional Advisor

OneView power off command fails unless connected via iLO IRC

Scenario:

BL460c Gen9 running Windows Server 2012 R2.

Send "momentary press" of virtual power button to server from (a) iLO web interface -or- OneView, but server does nothing.

Connect to server via iLO remote console ... not logging in, just connect and see the Windows "press C+A+D to login" page, then MOMENTARY PRESS WORKS.

Seems like Windows can't/won't process the virtual power button "press" (ACPI call), if there's no video/display monitor attached (even the IRC console video)...?

Any solution to this?

We want to multi-select a bunch of servers and issue a momentary press to have Windows gracefully shutdown many servers at the same time.

TIA.

Note: I also posted this to the ProLiant DL forum.

5 REPLIES 5
ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

Re: OneView power off command fails unless connected via iLO IRC

If you can only shut down your Windows server if your are currently logged into the OS, it sounds like you may have disabled the 'Allow system to be shut down without having to log on' , under GPEDIT -> Computer Configuration -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Local Policies -> Security Options. 

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

toby9999
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the reply Chris.

Unfortunately, this issue happens *before* login. So...

* IRC remote console window NOT open/connected ... send Momentary Press ... nothing happens;

* IRC remote console window IS open/connected (but NOT logged into Windows - at the Windows login screen that says "press ctrl-alt-delete to login") ... send Momentary Press ... server gracefully shuts down.

My theory is that Windows (Server 2012 R2 Core) somehow needs a video/monitor signal, before it will action the Power Button (ie the virtual power button from iLO).

On the other hand, if the server is currently powered down (ie Windows not running for example), then no video (IRC) is needed ... Momentary Press just works.

So in summary, it's looking like Windows itself is ignoring the Power Button action, when there's no video/monitor signal.

Any help is greatly appreciated ... I can't find anything on the internet about this, even searching just on Windows and a physical power button combination (ie taking HPE out of the loop).

Thanks.

Hendricus
Occasional Advisor

Hi, We have the same hardware and it works without any problems.

Could you confirm that you installed the latest firmware version ILO and Onboard Administrator?

It works at least with PSP version 2015.10.0

toby9999
Occasional Advisor

Hi

Here are the firmware versions for the OAs and iLOs:

BladeSystem c7000 DDR2 Onboard Administrator with KVM: 4.50 Jul 24 2015
ProLiant BL460c Gen9 - System ROM: I36 12/28/2015, iLO4: 2.40 Dec 02 2015, Power Management Controller: 1.0.9

Hendricus
Occasional Advisor

Those versions should be ok.
There is a newer one, 1 april 2016 version 04-2016.

Did you change any Windows power settings?
You can change what Windows does when pressing the power button.