New Discussion

SNMP trap storm handling

SOLVED
Go to solution
vitalik_www
Occasional Contributor

SNMP trap storm handling

Hi, Chris

I have some questions that I cannot find answers anywhere.

- How does the HP OneView SNMP trap receiver handle a trap storm?

- And what part of HP OneView health's monitor is responsible for translating incoming traps and sends notification massages to the Alert service?

- Is there any error  after 200 sec client doesn't get answer from HP OneView appliance ?

-What happens when an SNMP status polling request fails while monitoring an HP ProLiant Gen8 server?

- 5xx error is that server, or resource error?

- I cannot find any information in HP OneView docs about health monitoring  services , like event, alert, SNMP receiver, status aggregation services. Could, you, please explain roles of these services in HP OneView?

Thank you, in advance

Vitaliy

2 REPLIES 2
ChrisLynch
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: SNMP trap storm handling

@vitalik_www wrote:

- How does the HP OneView SNMP trap receiver handle a trap storm?

The SNMP Trap Reciever will mark a storm if 3 identical traps are received within 30 seconds.  Meaning, the main Activity page, or the Activity sub-page of a resource, will not be innundated with numerous events.  The "storm" will be aggregated and the number of recieved traps will be noted within a single Activity event.

@vitalik_www wrote:

- Is there any error  after 200 sec client doesn't get answer from HP OneView appliance ?

I'm not sure where you're getting 200 seconds from.  What client are you referring to?

@vitalik_www wrote:

-What happens when an SNMP status polling request fails while monitoring an HP ProLiant Gen8 server?

HP OneView will only query the iLO, which is where it will recieve and poll power, thermal, CPU utilization and reported component health.  If HP OneView is unable to query the iLO via SNMP, it is deemed unavailable and will report the resource Status as Critical.

@vitalik_www wrote:

- 5xx error is that server, or resource error?

Are you referring to an HTTP 500 error?  If so, that is an HTTP Status message from the API or UI indicating the web service is generating an error.  Are you trying to access the appliance via the API?  If so, I would suggest you review the documented API Responce Codes.

@vitalik_www wrote:

- I cannot find any information in HP OneView docs about health monitoring  services , like event, alert, SNMP receiver, status aggregation services. Could, you, please explain roles of these services in HP OneView?

For what purpose?  HP OneView has different Resource Managers that all communicate with each other internally.  They all use the State Change Message Bus and REST API for communication, which both are avialable as services for external consumption.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

vitalik_www
Occasional Contributor

Re: SNMP trap storm handling

Thank you very much for your help, Chris.

I have got the answers you have provided. Actually, these questions are from HP3-F18 OneView exam. There are nowhere in docs any info about it. So, that's why I have tried to understand principales.

Thanks,

Vitaliy