HPE OneView
1748111 Members
3625 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

What happens if an enclosure is configured in OneView and then taken out of OneView?

SOLVED
Go to solution
MattGG
Advisor

What happens if an enclosure is configured in OneView and then taken out of OneView?

If I configure enclosures with OneView during the trial and later decide not to license the product after the trial,  what will happen to the enclosure/blade configuration?  What would happen with virtual MAC an WWN addresses?

Anyother potential issues?

Thanks,

-MattG

7 REPLIES 7
ChrisLynch
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: What happens if an enclosure is configured in OneView and then taken out of OneView?

When you remove an enclosure from HP OneView, it will behave exactly the same way if you were to delete a Virtual Connect Classic domain; the Virtual Connect configuration will be deleted, thus you would lose all settings including Server Profiles.  We do not allow you to remove the enclosure from HP OneView if there are Server Profiles assigned to any servers in that enclosure.  There is a force override if needed.

Please keep in mind that HP OneView's architecture is completely different than that of Virtual Connect and Virtual Connect Enterprise Manager.  VCM is not running in this new architecture, and HP OneView is the only manager controlling the Virtual Connect configuration.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Gammal
Advisor

Re: What happens if an enclosure is configured in OneView and then taken out of OneView?

Hello, 

but what happens if the Oneview VM was  shut down or not available after setting up the Blade enclosure/server profile /and uplinks , do they still accessible ?  

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

If the enclosure was still in your Oneview configuration, and you shut down the Oneview appliance afterwards, when connecting to the Virtual Connect Manager you will be redirected to the Oneview console anyway. Which will time out since not available...

So you have to bring up again the Oneview appliance...

kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

HP OneView is architected to take into account outages of the management appliance.  If hypervisor host fails, it can be quickly recovered by moving it to another hypervisor host, or letting VMware HA handle the redundancy.  The infrastructure will continue to operate while the appliance is recovered.  The only aspect that cannot be managed are the Server Profiles and VC network configuration as HP OneView is the manager.  You would still have access to the Onboard Administrator and server iLO's.

If the VM fails, then it needs to be recovered manually.  The infrastructure again would continue to run just like I stated above.  An appliance backup might be needed, if the appliance VM needs to be redeployed.  This scenario should be extremely rare.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Gammal
Advisor

I understand that  you won't be able to manage the VC/Server profile if the Appliance is down , I meant that till you

recover the Appliance , at this time any defined server profile should work normally ? And  the servers are accessible through thier 

NICs and their  assigned MAC/WWNs  should be the same and working properly ?? 

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Yes, even when Oneview is not available, all enclosures, Virtual Connect and blades will remain working... No impact at all on server operations.

Like you say, you only cannot make changes to the server profiles and network configuration inside Virtual Connect. For this you will need the Oneview to be active...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
Gammal
Advisor

Thank you i just needed to confirm :)