New Discussion

Re: Add NIC ports to P4500?

SOLVED
Go to solution
doron1
Visitor

Add NIC ports to P4500?

Hi all,

This might be a stupid question but I couldn't get a conclusive answer: can I add more gigE ports to an existing P4500 box? Say, by using the available slot to stick in a standard NIC? I need to connect mine to multiple network segments and from all I see, the two gigE ports are all I have in HP lit (you can upgrade them to 10GbE but that doesn't help me much).

Will adding a NIC to the available slot work?

Thanks for any help.

4 REPLIES 4
Sudhakar Subramaniam
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

Please refer the below document .

This should give you complete information in having additional NIC.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02254864.pdf

Regards

Sudhakar

Sudhakar Subramaniam
Trusted Contributor

The 10 GbE feature option adds 10 GbE to the HP StorageWorks P4000 platforms. This is an add-on feature to the standard 1 GbE dual Ethernet adapters built into the system boards of the P4000 storage nodes. After the 10 GbE dual port Ethernet adapter is installed and configured, users see four Ethernet interfaces listed in the Centralized Management Console (CMC) TCP/IP Network tab window. These four interfaces can be bonded a number of ways.

doron1
Visitor

Thanks Sudhakar!

So from your response I gather this is the only supported way to add NIC ports, correct?

(I think I also gather than if the system does "see" and support the 10GbE ports in addition to the 1GbE ones, it may well recognize and work with additional 1GbE NIC ports, only that this setup will not be supported by HP... Am I totally off?)

I keep asking this because the 10GbE option is quite expensive, and I don't really need 10GbE per se.

Thanks again!

Sudhakar Subramaniam
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Hi

You are right. It may well recognize and work with additional 1GbE NIC ports, and well it may not be supported by HP as it is not recomended.

Regards

Sudhakar

If your query is answered please assign points by clicking on the KUDOS STAR on the left.