1748080 Members
5129 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Bond of two 10Gbe Ports on an HP StoreVirutal 4530

BLVK
Occasional Advisor

Bond of two Gibe Ports on an HP StoreVirutal 4530

Hi, i have 6 pairs of HP Storage Servers of different generation and on the last pair, i got the problem to bond the 10Gbe Ports. In one of the two Storage server everything works fine.
On the other, if i use the NICs separated it works fine, if i bond-them, then it fails. I have changed the DACs, tried to reset to factory default and changed 10Gbe-adapter without success!

Can someone help me?

Thx and regards, Mario

9 REPLIES 9
oikjn
Honored Contributor

Re: Bond of two Gibe Ports on an HP StoreVirutal 4530

sounds like you need to verify the switch configuration or physical cabling if you did the same thing as all the other nodes and those all work.  There isn't much to mess up for config on the HP nodes so its more likely a problem on the switch config.

BLVK
Occasional Advisor

Hmmm... The switch is ok, i madet a VLAN for the Storages and one works fine and the other not, thats strage!?! I checked the config many times between the two...
BLVK
Occasional Advisor

I have also tried to connect it on an other switch, but with the same issues...

oikjn
Honored Contributor

LVANs have nothing do to with bonding.  You are 100% sure you defined the ports on the switch to be members of the bond group and that you have connected to those ports?  Can't tell you how many times I've bonded ports 2 and 4 and connected the cables to ports 2 and 3 or something else and spent time pulling out my hair only to figure out I didn't have the two correct ports in the group.

also, what bonding are you using LCAP or ALB? 

BLVK
Occasional Advisor

I have a 10Gbe card with 2 Ports, no way to make it wrong! ;-)

I tried both LCAP or ALB, dont work any...

oikjn
Honored Contributor

the "wrong" side would be the switch side.  Did you plug the cables into the correct ports for the switch.  Also, what switch?

I can't tell from what you said if you are just configuring the server or configuring the switch as well as BOTH have to be configured to match the same settings or bonding won't work.

a_o
Valued Contributor

You said:
"In one of the two Storage server everything works fine. On the other, if i use the NICs separated it works fine"

If you're not in production yet, I would take the DACs/SFPs of the bond that's not working, and plug them into the pair of ports on the switch that's being used by the working bond.

If it still doesn't work, at the very least, you'll be able to eliminate the switch as the cause of the problem.

But ojkin is right, although there's not much to configure for an ALB/LACP bond on the StoreVault's side, if the switch ports don't have the correct configuration it wont work.

BLVK
Occasional Advisor

Hi to all, Thanks for all your replys... I have done-it 12x the same way and on the last it dosent works. I have: - 2x 4530 Storage Server (New, not yet in production) - 2x H3C S5820X-24XG-SFP I have tried with different DACs on different ports of the switch. When i use the ports singulary then they are ok. When i bond them, so then they fail. The switch-config is the same like for the other one who works...
oikjn
Honored Contributor

Did you try plugging it into the exact ports on the switch that you say works on the other unit?  Try that first and that should give you an idea if the problem is with the switch or with the server.

After that, try another switch or another set of ports and if that doesn't work, then contact HP for support.  It SHOULD work when setup correctly and most of the setup is on the switch.  If it works on all your other units, its either a hardware problem or a bug.