5131 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Complete VSA / ESXi Shutdown

IAmMIst
Occasional Contributor

Complete VSA / ESXi Shutdown

Hi All,

We are running a 2 Node + FOM StoreVirtual VSA with VMware. I have been looking for a complete shutdown procedure, but can only seem to find articles shutting down one host at a time for maintenance. We are making power changes in our DC and we require complete shutdown of all hosts for a number of hours. What is the process / order for shutting down all hosts? I have done it before, but I'm not sure the order was best practice.

1. Shutdown VMs

2. Put the hosts in maintenance mode.

3. Shutdown the StoreVirtual VSA software on each host (2 Nodes + FOM).

4.  Showdown VMware VCenter Server Appliance (VM)

5. Shutdown Hosts.

Is this correct or am I missing something?

Cheers,

IAmMIst

3 REPLIES 3
Tedh256
Frequent Advisor

I'm not sure, exactly - but I do know that if you put the hosts in maintenance mode, then the VSA appliances have to be shutdown. VMs can't run on a host that is in maintenance mode.

So perhaps the order would be thus:

1. Shutdown VMs

2. Shutdown VMware VCenter Server Appliance (VM)  (which is I presume running on the same hosts)

3. Shutdown the StoreVirtual VSA software on each host (2 Nodes + FOM). (need a CMS that is installed outside of the environment)

4.  Put the hosts in maintenance mode.

5. Shutdown Hosts.

I'm pretty sure that would be the correct order - I am also pretty sure that there is a command in the CMC for shutting down the management group, and that you want to use that command to shutdown the VSA appliances.

Hope this helps ... hoping someone else chimes in if I missed something ...

IAmMIst
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply, I am testing this tonight, so will post the results Monday.

JulianBlu
Occasional Advisor

Did you complete the shutdown test without issues ?