New Discussion

Re: P4300 G2 Usable Space

SOLVED
Go to solution
jerrydv
Occasional Advisor

P4300 G2 Usable Space

Hi,

I had a question regarding disk space on a P4300 G2. Right now the total raw space on the node is 4.37TB  but the node shows there is only 2.81TB of usable space. I am pretty sure you do not loose 1.56Tb to RAID 5.

Is there a limitation on the SAN on how much space it can see?

14 REPLIES 14
a_o
Valued Contributor

Nope, there's no limitation on how much space a SAN can see.

Sure,  on each NSM, you'll lose some space to RAID - i.e. your usable space would be at most ((disk size * n) - disk size) n being the qty of disks in the NSM.

Addtionally, StoreVirtual OS takes some space and also Cluster Metadata takes some space.

Lastly, if the NSM is part of a cluster, the usable space is limited to the size of the smallest member of the cluster.

I suspect that what you're seeing is actually the effect of the  last item.

jerrydv
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for your reply a_o

I have 3 nodes, all the nodes have 600GB size disks according to my calculations the cluster should be seeing 12851TB of usable space. I guess the other thing to add is there used to be 2 older nodes that had smaller size disks but those 2 nodes have been removed from the cluster and management group and have been turned off. Any ideas on how to make recalculate properly.
a_o
Valued Contributor

Not sure if there's a way to do that.

Also, at first glance, there does not seem to be anything wrong with those numbers.

What Hardware RAID level are you using?

Here's a good resource for LH data sorage capacities.

http://www.tdonline.com/hp-lefthand/storage-calculator/

oikjn
Honored Contributor

The usable space IS limited by the smallest nodes in the cluster, so if you had smaller nodes in there, then that could explain why it showed less usable space.  Assuming the smaller nodes are out of the cluster now, you might need to reboot the nodes to get the extra usable space back...  if a single node reboot doesn't work, I would contact support, it might take a reboot of the management group or some forced CLI command to rescan the disks.

jerrydv
Occasional Advisor

oikjn thanks for the help

Yes the smaller nodes are shutdown and separated from the cluster. Rebooting a single node did not fix the issue. Raw Space 4.37TB but only 2.81 usable. So I am about to call support, to see what they have to say.
jerrydv
Occasional Advisor

a_o

Hardware Raid 5. So basically 3 node cluster with 4.37TB of raw space each but only 2.81TB is usable per node. For a total of 8.49TB
oikjn
Honored Contributor

good luck.  Please let us know what had to be done to get the node space used completely.

a_o
Valued Contributor

I would suggest that you check all of your nodes to make sure that they're exactly the same.
That is, make sure that they all have 600gb disks in them.

2.81TB usable is exactly what you would get on a P4300G2 with 8 x 450GB disks in a RAID 5 setup.
This is before even joining them to a cluster.
I know this because I just re-imaged one of mine to v.11, and that's what it shows.

jerrydv
Occasional Advisor
Solution

Hello,

So the solution is to reconfigure the Network RAID on the node. I had 3 nodes so I was able to reconfigure the nodes with out down time.  After reconfiguring the network raid,  all nodes have 4.37TB of raw  space and 3.7TB of usable, whihc is consistant with RAID 5.