108723 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: P4300 G2 Usable Space

SOLVED
Go to solution
oikjn
Honored Contributor

can you clairify?  Network raid is done at the LUN level, not at the node level.  Are you talking about the physical raid of the nodes?

Typically the physical nodes are running raid5 and the LUNs operate at NR10.  The usable space for each node would be limited by the mix of physical nodes on your system where the usable space for every node would max our at the usable space in the smallest node, so for example, if you have 5 nodes that are 10TB and one that is 2TB, every node would show 2TB usable as long as that small node was allowed to remain in that cluster.

jerrydv
Occasional Advisor

I am sorry, I meant the pysical raid on the nodes. We wanted to upgrade the disks on our nodes to gain more space with out having to buy another node, so we eneded up swapping all 300GB drives for 600GB at this point the nodes recognized that bigger drives were installed but the usable never changed the only way we were able to make the nodes calculate the correct usable space with the new drives was to kick each node from the cluster and reconfigure the physical raid on each node and then adding it back. Hopefully this makes more sense.

a_o
Valued Contributor

Ahh... Semantics.
FWIW, you didn't really need to kick them out of the cluster as you were in the process of configuring the cluster.
A "Reconfigure RAID" command issued to each node should have taken care of this problem.
CelsoAnnes

@jerrydv wrote:

I am sorry, I meant the pysical raid on the nodes. We wanted to upgrade the disks on our nodes to gain more space with out having to buy another node, so we eneded up swapping all 300GB drives for 600GB at this point the nodes recognized that bigger drives were installed but the usable never changed the only way we were able to make the nodes calculate the correct usable space with the new drives was to kick each node from the cluster and reconfigure the physical raid on each node and then adding it back. Hopefully this makes more sense.

Hi, when you make this, did you lose the data on the process?

CelsoAnnes

@a_o wrote:
Ahh... Semantics.
FWIW, you didn't really need to kick them out of the cluster as you were in the process of configuring the cluster.
A "Reconfigure RAID" command issued to each node should have taken care of this problem.

"Reconfiguring RAID on a storage system or a StoreVirtual VSA destroys any data stored on that storage system."

The cluster is showing me that I have 21 TB of RAW SPACE, is there a way to add this to my USABLE SPACE without losing data in the process?