5835 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: SSD support

chrisb101
Occasional Contributor

SSD support

Hi all,

New poster here, just joined as I need a bit of advice on a proposed "make do and mend" solution.

We have an application with a rather high IOPS requirement that is writing at 1300+ IOPS to each of 5 x local blade 10k SAS disks (I know this looks technically impossible, or at least highly improbable :) ) but we need to move this onto a resilient platform.

There is an existing, aging P4000 2 node cluster with 15k SAS disks that, no matter how you rework it, e.g. RAID10, won't give anything like the performance we need so I'm looking at putting some SSDs for the short term into it. It's sat there unused at the moment so I can literally do anything with it.

Question is, can these old P4000s (DL320s it seems) take SSDs? Would a SAN/IQ upgrade help?

Any advice gratefully received!

Chris

3 REPLIES 3
oikjn
Honored Contributor

its going to be unsupported.  

Guess you can try it.  Assuming the san doesn't have anything on it, it doesn't hurt to put the SSDs in and see if it works, but HP support won't touch it with a 10' pole.

If this is really short-term and you have the hardware for it, you can spool up some VSAs which would support SSDs as long as the hypervisor does and then you can hit your performance goals.

chrisb101
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your reply - yes it is short term, 6-9 months. They're not keen on spending twice but really need something to get us off the current platform. Unsupported I can cope with, just whether they would actually work ...
oikjn
Honored Contributor

not sure about working or not, but the trial for VSAs are only 60 days.

what kind of storage space are you talking about here?  500GB/1TB/10TB/100TB/...?

I assume you require shared storage, but you mention blades, if they are in a single chassis, have you considered SAS?